1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth giving up a permanent job for a higher paid one year contact job (not teaching)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by May2, Jan 21, 2019.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

So many jobs these days seem to be 6 month and year contracts only, but can be renewed sometimes. So if a single person in mid 30s on a low salary who can only afford to rent in a house share in the very expensive area where jobs in their field tend to be, would you think it worth changing to a job earning £10,000 more, but could be only for a year. This is from earning in low £20,000s so quite a lot more. The job they secured was only after an internship at age 29 and with a post grad degree. There were over 200 applicants when they secured this job and since then the organisation has only employed everyone on a short term contract.
    Also wondered if it had any bearing on renting property if not with a permanent contract.

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If the person of whom you speak is a good teacher, then they can come back any time.

But I'll bet a year outside teaching on decent money could well persuade them not even to try to return.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

Sorry this is not moving from teaching. They are already working in a different sector and have never been in teaching. I just thought some people may have views on this.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If they are in their mid-thirties on a salary in the low 20k range, with a higher degree, then I cannot see there is a question to answer.