1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth getting a MEd?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by sweedie71, Aug 3, 2015.

1. My career has stalled since becoming a mother, even taking a step back from coordinator to just teaching. With 14 years of experience, is it worth getting a MEd in educational leadership, or is that simply a waste of my time and money?

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Only you can judge whether studying for a higher degree is a waste of your time, energy and money. Do it if you want to update your professional knowledge, to exercise your brain and to challenge your assumptions about current educational practice. Don't do it if you expect the qualification to guarantee you success in the promotion stakes and to impress your school management team.

During my full-time teaching career I fully paid for, and achieved, two Masters degrees by part-time study evenings, weekends and school holidays, one (MA) by attending a weekly evening class, submitting assignments including a dissertation and passing written examinations, another (MEd) by doing extensive field and library research followed by the submission of a long thesis that now languishes in the university library stacks. I can confidently say that both brought me immense personal satisfaction but that neither made one iota of difference to my career prospects.

3. That's sort of my dilemma. I want to do a Master, but should I do something purely because of my interests, or should I go for one that's more career oriented? If I felt that the MEd would pay off from a professional point of view, there wouldn't be a question, but that doesn't seem to be a given.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Dodros is correct to advise you not to do a higher degree for any professional 'gain' - because it won't make any difference. Heads look for experience and expertise gained in school, not additional paper qualifications. Moreover, many people hold higher degrees these days, they aren't difficult to obtain (many PGCEs provide an easy way of gaining a fair bit of credit towards one, which - in my opinion - makes them almost worthless) and don't make people better SLT members.

I speak as an experienced headteacher (of 2 secondary schools) and holder of no less than THREE higher degrees.

Do it for personal development.

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I can't think of anything more dull than writing academic essays about education. It was bad enough on the PGCE.

Something connected to your interests on the other hand - it won't lead to an immediate pay boost but will be one thing to make your application stand out in the future, particularly if it's in your subject area.

6. usernameIcanremember

usernameIcanremember New commenter

I don't think doing an MEd will make you a better teacher per se, however it can give you the opportunity to network with other teachers doing the same course. Often times it's the conversations you have with people at other schools that makes the difference.