1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth even looking?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by albertdog, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I am now sixty, with over 35 years of teaching maths and sciene in London schools. A couple of years ago, I had a near-fatal accident, from which it took me a year to recover, by which time the job I had had for the last 15 years had gone. I tried to get back into to teaching by joining teaching agencies, indeed, in total twenty six of them, but only got six days in the year April 2010 to May 2011, only four of which paid.
    A couple of months ago, I took my pension, as I had no income. Last year, I made a net loss, as joining agencies cost over £800. I have applied for well over 600 jobs n the last year, but not even a reply. I mail-shotted all the schools within a thirty mile radius three times but no replies. I keep in regular touch with a dozen of the agencies but they always say that there is no work for maths or science teachers.
    Is it time to give up? I did not think that I would miss teaching, but I do!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am surprised that you are finding it hard to get a job teaching Maths in London. To get no interviews at all seems strange. 600 applications and no response?
    It would seem that you are perhaps not presenting yourself effectively; if you had been, you would have had some response.
    So, what to do? Here is my general advice in this sort of situation:
    Point 1 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 2 Are you making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply? Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 3 And finally, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train to come to the seminars on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thank you for your reply. My daughter is a recruitment consultant, and (if I might confess this) prepared most of my job applications, so i am sure that they were very good. I wondered whether some more intrinsic factor was holding me back, such as my age and/or medical history. As you say, especially for agencies, where the school play a flat rate, what would a school have to lose by employing me.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If she is an education recruitment consultant, then I am sure that is so.
    However, to be brutally frank, applications prepared by general business recruitment consultants are often not popular with schools.
    As your experience seems to suggest . . .
    Sorry.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!