1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth doing a PGCE course?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Lowis88, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi there! I'm a Spanish graduate in English Studies, and after spending one year as a foreign language assistant in England, I'm considering doing a PGCE in MFL-Spanish. I'm currently finishing a teacher training course (very similar to the PGCE) in Spain,which will allow me to teach in secondary schools here. I think that my qualifications could be recongnised in the UK (having qualified in the EU), but I suppose that doing a PGCE would give me a better insight into the English educational system. If you were in my position, would you do this course? If I had my qualifications recognised, what other options are available in order to get more experience in English schools? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Hi there! I'm a Spanish graduate in English Studies, and after spending one year as a foreign language assistant in England, I'm considering doing a PGCE in MFL-Spanish. I'm currently finishing a teacher training course (very similar to the PGCE) in Spain,which will allow me to teach in secondary schools here. I think that my qualifications could be recongnised in the UK (having qualified in the EU), but I suppose that doing a PGCE would give me a better insight into the English educational system. If you were in my position, would you do this course? If I had my qualifications recognised, what other options are available in order to get more experience in English schools? Thanks in advance! :)

3. I wouldnt bother with the PGCE. For a start the cost is going up to around £9000 next year so it is an expensive way of gaining experience where you probably wont learn anything new and will most likely feel like you are doing things that you are already capable of. Instead it may be a good idea to try to get into schools as a Teaching Assistant or a Cover supervisor, you should be very appealing to schools as you can cover the MFL lessons. If there arent any jobs about then the next best thing would be to try and get in on a voluntary scale, this could be directly with the school or if not a local young people's charity.
    Hope this helps.

4. The problem with this suggestion, missibbotson, is that this way you end up doing the work but not getting the pay. TAs earn much less that those with QTS (and I don't think a NQT starting salary of around £22,000 is that brilliant!). And what hope of promotion would there be, working as a TA? No, the best answer is to get QTS one way or another. As an EU-qualifed teacher, this shouldn't be too difficult - don't you just have to apply to the Teaching Agency for QTS?
    OtC