1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth applying for a job that I have done in the past?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 4133charlotte, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with this -
    Whilst I was still on placement in May, I had an interview at a particular school, but I didn't get through to the actual interview stage.
    The same job in the same school has came up again - would it be acceptable/normal to apply for this job again - or is it best just to leave it?
    Thanks, Charlotte.

2. I don't see why not, if you think you have what it takes to do the job and can prove it in your application.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well there'll be a different cohort of candidates so it's worth a try. (I've applied 4 times to the same school.)

4. Thanks for your replies. Just wasn't sure if I would be rejected straight away.
    I feel I have gained more experience since then anyway.

5. I got my current teaching job at a school id already had an interview at and was unsuccessful first time round!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, do apply.
    Read the sdvice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread for tips on how to improve on your last application.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Remember: you are applying this time against a different set of applicants, so your chances of getting shortlisted will have changed. Just do the best possible application!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. Thanks for your replies again.
    I think I am now rather good at the application technique as I was told at an interview today that my application was one of the best they'd seen. I have been using the advice here and the ES, so I am pretty happy about that.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!
    But remember this, too: your application also reflects the underlying you, so if it is one of the best ever, so are you!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

9. I just started a job 4 weeks ago in a school which advertised a job in the same department / same position in May... They just needed a slightly different subject emphasis (MFL) in May which I didn't match as well as other candidates, but this time it was the right match!
    Good luck!

10. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

Definitely apply for the post, I have hired teachers that have applied more than once. Make sure you demonstrate how you have developed/improved/have even more to offer since your last application.
    Good luck - never give up on something you really want.

11. Thank you all for your kind advice, will be sending the application off tomorrow.