1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth aiming for Outstanding?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Happygopolitely, Jul 16, 2019.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

No, of course I'm not. Every child deserves the best teaching we can give them.

I kind of hope that the mechanic who repairs my brakes or the proctocologist examining me for bowl cancer is also not just 'settling for a good', either.

I get that there are elements of Ofsted outstanding which may not translate into the best outcomes for children and if SLT have any backbone those should be dumped. But I've worked in several genuinely outstanding schools and you know what? They frequently are. No, I don't believe in jumping through pointless hoops to win a paper grade, nor do I believe in grinding down colleagues who are struggling.

But personally, I want to be the best teacher I can be. I want to close my classroom door each night knowing that that was the best I could have done today. And maybe learning from it and working out what I could do better tomorrow. That's what I mean by aiming for outstanding.

2. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

I had that problem with a yellow washing up bowl and solved it with an outstanding Bril%lo pad.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is a difference between being the best you can be and OFSTED outstanding. Being the best you can be is a year round thing covering every aspect of your teaching. OFSTED outstanding is about hitting specific criteria at given times, many of which have no direct bearing on the pupils' classroom experience.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Once the school has reached 'Outstanding' then there are only two options:
    1. You can try to remain 'Outstanding', which is like trying to live on the summit of Everest having climbed up there. A pleasant proposition?
    2. You can go back down to 'Good' and face all of the criticisms associated with doing so. Criticism from governors, parents the LA or MAT and, of course, the local press which is never hesitant in apportionment blame.
    My suggestion? Stay at 'Good' and enjoy being in the equivalent of a nice comfy hotel on the slopes of Everest. Enjoy the clear air and the view but leave the summit to others.

bevdex and blazer like this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Every teacher I have ever known has genuinely tried their best for their students. Senior management and OFSTED not so much. I do not think that OFSTED outstanding means anything and I am amazed that people here think it does.

Catgirl1964 likes this.