1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth aiming for Outstanding?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Happygopolitely, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

With the added pressure, stress and potential extra workload - is it really worth aiming for Outstanding? Are not the students more important than that? And isn't teacher worklife balance and mental well being more crucial than an Ofsted grading ?

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Are you going to be paid any more for being Outstanding?

Catgirl1964, nomad, bevdex and 2 others like this.
  3. Happygopolitely

Nope. Good point..Teachers get no extra pay. Just more stress it seems.

nomad likes this.
  4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Once you attain 'Outstanding' (assuming you do), then life becomes much easier - Ofsted stop calling, aspirational parents fight to get their children into your school, leaving fewer spaces for the students who tend to take up more staff time with behaviour issues, and good results therefore become even easier to achieve. It's whether the journey on the way is going to be manageable.

5. Happygopolitely

Imteresting point. I wonder.what happens to teacher retention rates, pressure to get results, stress and parent demands in Outdtanding schools though.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Once you get "outstanding" " the pressure does not disappear as you have to stay there. I think "good is the best place to be.

7. Happygopolitely

I agree. Aiming for the Good and keeping the Good seems more suited to a healthy life balance.

nomad and sparklepig2002 like this.
  8. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

In depends where your schools are and the community you’re in. In my catchment there are four school some perceived as being great schools and some as terrible. The “great” schools are over subscribed the “terrible” ones struggle to get students. In the “terrible” school staff have been made redundant Year on Year due to their falling rolls. Within this context the only thing to shift community perception is the ofsted rating. So while I don’t think it should be this way, those in the “terrible” schools are desperate for an outstanding grading and secretly hoping the other schools perform less well.

bessiesmith and Happygopolitely like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If that is true how come so many schools that get in the news for things like knife crime etc are 'outstanding'?

Happygopolitely likes this.
  10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

because OFSTED grading doesn't actually mean anything real. If anything, it's more damaging than anything else.

Catgirl1964, hhhh and Happygopolitely like this.
  11. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Not always the case, an academy school part of a large, so called 'Outstanding' MAT was recently downgraded from its outstanding that it received just 3 years ago.
    https://www.outwood.com/ogat-news/2...ack-ahead-of-potential-record-breaking-summer

Happygopolitely likes this.
  12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

That’s what we were promised. “If we get Outstanding you’ll never see Ofstef again blah blah blah”.

It’s just as bad once you get it.

Usain Bolt has to run fast to win his first Gold. He didn’t ease off to win the next one.

13. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

"Outstanding" appears to be absurd nonsense in the same way that the economic measure "GDP" was NEVER intended to be so OVER-USED/MISUSED as explicitly warned by it's inventor. Eg recent article on shift in focus:

https://www.tes.com/news/what-if-schools-valued-wellbeing-more-results

Imho, for most children, the best they can come out of school with is:

1. Well Being in the formation of their character and personality (ie the mental software)
    2. Well Being in the formation of their physical and habit routines (ie their bodies eg nutrition and fitness)
    3. Skill Acquisition in a range of areas they can always use in life eg Language, Music Instrument, Sport Skill, Art Skill, Computer Skill, Acting Skill, Push-Bike Repair Skill etc - irrespective of their career/job outcomes and changes over the course of their lives. These skills they can practice and be happy with all their lives once chosen and practiced towards competence and mastery.

agathamorse, Happygopolitely and JL48 like this.
  14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

beware of a Sisyphean tasks.

They should be, but ask yourself do the practices of your school reflect this?

nomad and Happygopolitely like this.
  15. Happygopolitely

Agree. And do Ofsted reflect this ?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But the point of his training was to win. Surely the point of being a teacher is to improve students' lives and prospects, not pleasing a group of people who probably don't even teach anymore?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  17. drek

drek Lead commenter

I worked in schools across the grading spectrum. Both the RI and the outstanding schools lost more than 60% of their staff over 2 years after my leaving, across all departments, including leadership and admin. I found it difficult to get references from a couple of schools simply because line managers had left and personnel record keeping was abysmal. I had to ask for forwarding school addresses or trace ex line managers myself to obtain them in one case and send copies of P60 and other school stamped documents to one school whose entire board had been replaced to show them that I had indeed worked there for three years as head of physics prior to the takeover. Lol
    Shows that grades across the spectrum have inhumane expectations, and that perhaps reference letters should be given to staff at point of leaving and copies kept by the old school for validation and verification purposes by the new school. Things might improve perhaps without all this absurd song and dance. The more absurd and inefficient an idea sounds the more money its proponents seems to receive from the dfe.

18. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Of course it's worth it. Means you are the best you can be. Would you tell students not to bother aiming for a 9 if they can get it?

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I once was sent on a 9 day course to an 'outstanding' school. The aim was to turn us into outstanding teachers. We had to sit through some awful lessons that we would have been embarrassed to deliver ourselves. When we told the course leaders this they bluffed and blustered and disputed our observations despite the fact we were using criteria they had supplied.

Catgirl1964 and FrankWolley like this.
  20. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I hope you are being ironic

Catgirl1964 likes this.