1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it usual for school governors to come to staff meetings

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MonstieBags, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

If they do come to staff meetings, should they be giving input into book looks and quizzing teachers about practise?
    Just asking

2. MonstieBags

By the way, this is a staff meeting/CPD session

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Might they be checking up on spelling?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It happens...why shouldn't they?

Pomza likes this.
  5. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Yes, shows good governance. Would you rather they get all their information from the ht, or come in and see for themselves

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  6. MonstieBags

I don't know - just feels like we got a new layer of management added - yet another one.

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

In the same way that we're paranoid about SLT 'dropping in' to our lessons, "Are they watching the kids, OR US?" then hopefully SLT are asking themselves, "Are they watching the teachers, OR US?"
    Even though it's just getting a better idea of what's happening.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

Well, I assume you have staff governors, who will always come to staff meetings, so yes, it is.
    And it is good practice for governors to come along, and to see for themselves. I
    have been a governor in two schools and I have always encouraged others to come along to experience the school "properly". If they don't ask about practice, then how do they know what's going on? Many governors are not educationalists and need information. The more involved they are, the less remote thay are and this is a good thing, no?

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your question was "is it usual?" No, not in my experience.

But let me qualify that slightly. You say this staff meeting is also a CPD session. Joint governor/staff CPD happens from time to time. Depends what the CPD subject is. Or, which sounds more likely here, a governor attending a CPD session to learn about the school's practice.

If I were invited as a governor to a CPD session about 'book looks' I'd certainly ask questions about the school's practice. What would be the point of me being there unless I asked questions to understand what happens in the school?

It's better all round for governors to see things first hand rather than only know the school from a dreary stream of reports from the head.

If you felt the governor's personal style was too ''managerial' you should feed that back to the head.

strawbs and mothorchid like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For someone, who from their other threads, is in their second year of teaching, you are incredibly negative.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In my last school we and the Governors worked ever so hard to get the Governors to see and understand as much as they could. That's to everyone's benefit.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

A lot depends on the governor him or herself, IMHO.

13. MonstieBags

Yes I am very negative. That's why I am on this forum - if everything was hunky dory I wouldn't be up at 4 am writing this. but thank you for your comment.

Sir_Henry and Eflmeister like this.
  14. MonstieBags

This governor is an ex head and is asking to see action plans in two weeks time that have been agreed to be ready by end of December with the actual head during performance management meeting.
    Beginning to feel like the only indian in a school full of chiefs.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Speak to your Union. Sounds a bit bullish - don't be fooled. They may be in panic mode - because their systems are weak. Are they due an Ofsted?.

Is it calendared on your agreed Whole School Calendar and is it part of your agreed Monitoring Systems? Or is it being presented in a shocking, unplanned, panic driven and fear ridden, last minute way with short notice? Have the monitiring sheets being used here being shared with teachers so that you all know the criteria beforehand ?.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    JohnJCazorla and MonstieBags like this.
  16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When I was a governor, we were given a list of staff meetings and encouraged- yes, encouraged, to come to those that were relevant to the strategic role of a governor.

17. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Regarding the governor asking for deadlines earlier than agreed with HT, email (for evidence) the head and ask for clarification. Whilst I agree in principle with there being no problem with governors attending staff meetings, this does semm to be a bit iffy. Most likely they were unaware that these action plans had already been agreed?

agathamorse likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Doesn't sound right to me. Probably wants to throw their weight around...

install, agathamorse and 7eleven like this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wouldhave thought that was the responsibility of the head not a governor.

agathamorse and FrankWolley like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Action plan? For departments? Or subjects? Or for every teacher? What's an action plan? How much work does it involve? Why? What's it for?

Governors at meetings? That's a good thing. More transparency. More involvement.

But asking for specifics? Not sure about that or where it fits in with your workload. Is it part of your performance management? As always though. What's the bloody POINT?

JohnJCazorla likes this.