1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it "ungrateful" for immigrants, or their descendants to criticise their host country?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Matthew Parris in the Times thinks so. I think Matthew Parris needs to apologise and reflect on what he is saying here:
    Matthew Parris racism - Times.jpg

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

At least one of the 4 congresswomen (the one from Puerto Rico) comes from a family that have been US citizens longer then Trump's family. So maybe the orange molester should be cut in half, and the two stinking pieces of excrement be sent to Scotland and Germany... ;)

PS Parris is wrong, BTW.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If you are a citizen you have citizen's rights.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Matthew Parris is a winky-wonk. In my opinion...

burajda likes this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Perhapis their votes should be taken away, so they can have a good whinge
    but have fewer rights to the 'longer settled' members of the community. Perhaps they could be identified as having less rights to complain about their housing, employment, schools, criminal justice, government by wearing a small badge. It would shut up those meddlesome Grenfell people who should feel grateful as Kensington is a much better and less corrupt place to live than where they and their families come from.

6. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

I agree with you. Everyone has the right to criticize or praise as they experience. My grandparents came from another country and they love the uk and its people. Any racism they experienced or bitterness they saw as unhappy individuals rather than the country as a whole.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Hes a well paid one.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Many are.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

One of the benefits of a country like ours is free speech. They can criticise away.

10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It has been pointed out that Matthew Parris was born in South Africa and lived in Cyprus, Swaziland, Rhodesia (as was) and Jamaica, before only arriving in Britain to attend university. Let's hope he's never criticised Britain or its government in any way, shape or form, then.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No thanks. It's bad enough that we have his stupid golf course around here.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

As the descendant of immigrants, and as an immigrant myself, I can say that expressing a bit of gratitude toward a country which has given you a home does not go amiss. I am always publicly positive about the UK (not difficult, there being so much to be positive about) no matter what I might think of the government of the day or some of the natives.

13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Would you be so very kind as to provide a definition of this term? I had a look on thefreedictionary, but without success:

winky-wonk
    Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.

I found it in the urbandictionary:

Winkywonk
    (1). The act of winking to the opposite sex. (2). To wink at someone with kinky intentions.
    Girl: *Winkywonk* Hey, you.

but the word is a verb here, rather than an adjective.

Of course, as we all know, the usage of the two separate words is:

Winky Wonk - Giraffe Conservation Foundation.

but I don't see the connection between Matthew Parris and giraffe conservation. Maybe it's an obvious one, but it eludes me.

[Note to self: stop procrastinating...]

nomad likes this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

How far back are we supposed to go. I think my granny was born in Ireland in the 1890s (mind you it was part of GB then). I have never been to Ireland. Papers keep saying it is all part of Trump's agenda to get himself re-elected, but it seems a weird strategy, stirring up racial hatreds worse than the 50s and 60s. Are there enough rednecks to vote him in? I assume all the division will mobilise voters on both sides. Are the USA electorate really so moronic?

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A lot are. But the Democrats arent offering any credible, charismatic opposition. Not that Trump is either credible or charismatic.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

o_O

I wouldn't overthink it, tbh.

17. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

"I think Matthew Parris needs to apologise and reflect on what he is saying here"
    How self-righteous. Immigrants and their descendants (which is almost everyone in the US) are free to criticise but then they themselves cannot be free from criticism. Typical double-standards from politicians and media.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It think it works like this

The Squad are 4 newly elected of the left of the Democratic party.
    The are even the far left of the Justice Democrats in the House.
    The 4 make a lot of pro immigration anti Israel statements and make a lot of use of Twitter.

Trump makes his racist attacks on them.
    The Democrats in the House have to defend them, thus aligning themselves with people whose views they do not support. This alienates Democrat voters on the centre and right.
    Pelosi tries to calm them down and is accused of racism, internally fracturing the Democrats a bit more.
    Jews who would normally vote Democrat are less likely to vote Democrat.

Trump comes out ahead.

artboyusa and racroesus like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Y
    You might be able to get an Irish Passport. If you are a citizen of a country you have the right to criticise and complain. If there ia absolutely nothing positive that you can find then maybe you should look to be a citizen elsewhere. I find plenty about Northern Ireland and the UK to be positive about so I am happy to remain a citizen, but I shal b!t<h if I have some thing to complain about.

20. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Yet America changed a 180 year old rule to accommodate Omar's religious intolerance.