1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it true...?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I'm sure that I've heard or read somewhere that students will no longer be able to get any lower than a C in their GCSE's soon and that students who are below this grade should be doing functional skills instead? Have I dreamt this?
    Also, out of interest, how many of you offer functional skills instead of GCSE? Is this something that's becoming more popular in secondary schools? If anyone does offer this, are you finding an increase in success rates and does this correlate to students enjoyment and confidence in the subject?
    Just thought it might be an interesting topic discussion given some of the other threads.

2. I'm sure that I've heard or read somewhere that students will no longer be able to get any lower than a C in their GCSE's soon and that students who are below this grade should be doing functional skills instead? Have I dreamt this?
    Also, out of interest, how many of you offer functional skills instead of GCSE? Is this something that's becoming more popular in secondary schools? If anyone does offer this, are you finding an increase in success rates and does this correlate to students enjoyment and confidence in the subject?
    Just thought it might be an interesting topic discussion given some of the other threads.

3. DM

DM New commenter

You have certainly dreamt this.
    No school would offer FS instead of GCSE unless they want to fall to the bottom of their county in league tables. FS does not count as a GCSE equivalent in the 5 A* to C including mathematics and English measure.
    Your reasoning is odd anyway as many students find FS Level 2 more difficult to pass than to obtain a GCSE grade C. I had a GCSE grade A mathematics student last year who failed to get his Diploma as he did not pass the compulsory Level 2 mathematics FS.

4. hmmm, Thanks for this information, DM. I think I will do some more research on this. I have been told by a trusted college lecturer that the college nearby are developing a STEM academy and part of this will be to offer FS and GCSE but the FS are for those who wouldn't obtain a C at GCSE. Perhaps she has misheard or misinterpreted the information. Or perhaps it is more a case of the difference in Secondary as opposed to post 16 i.e. the league tables.
    Your post also supports the info I have recently read on opposing a link between the two.
    Many thanks for your reply.

5. Some schools take the decision to place SOME students on alternative programs if they are not going to obtain a C coming up to an exam for a various reasons. One resons is sending kids out with SOME form of qualification and another reason is to get the pupils off their A-C results.