1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

is it true that all OTT teachers can no longer teach after AUGUST??

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by chandrevan, May 12, 2007.

  1. i have just been told by a friend - who i did the QTS course with in Sept that I can't teach after August if I don't have my QTS.

    (I am waiting for my results, if I fail, I can't complete they year at my school! as my contract has expired and I don't have right to remain.)
  2. i have just been told by a friend - who i did the QTS course with in Sept that I can't teach after August if I don't have my QTS.

    (I am waiting for my results, if I fail, I can't complete they year at my school! as my contract has expired and I don't have right to remain.)
  3. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    Afraid it's true.

    "From August 2007, changes are planned to the 'Education (Specified Work and Registration) (England) Regulations 2003', so that it will no longer be possible for OTTs without QTS to continue teaching after four years under these or any other circumstances."

  4. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    Applies to all OTTs who have not obtained QTS by August this year.
  5. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    This is the difference:

    "At present, OTTs may continue teaching after their four year period has expired if they are undertaking an employment-based teacher training scheme (the Overseas Trained Teacher Programme or the Graduate Teacher Programme) at the end of their four year period, with a view to obtaining QTS."

    From August, this will no longer be the case. If you don't have QTS before August, that's it (from what it says here).

  6. thanks so much...wouldn't have looked it up, was too scared...now i just HAVE to get it!
  7. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    Good luck! You can do it!
  8. I just realised - i will only have been in the country for 4 years in jan 2008....so i think i am still okay for now....
    what do you think, invincible??
  9. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    I'm no expert but you would have to get your QTS before then, I think?
  10. guys apply for your QTS in scotland and then transfer it to england, all you have to do is get your degree recongised over here and that can be done through narric.
    Its costs a bit (approx £100) pounds but beats having to do all that other waste of time stuff!!
    Good luck
    P.S I did it!
  11. jess_girl can you tell us the full details on how to apply QTS at Scotland? THANK YOU!!!
  12. Sorry a friend of mine is an austrailian and has been here for 5 years doing supply. He hasn't got QTS. Does the four year rule count for supply teachers.

  13. don't know but i am sure it does.....
  14. yes, please tell us, how to apply for it in Scotland..did it take long??
  15. saoghalbeag

    saoghalbeag New commenter

    I've heard the Scotland thing a few times now. I believe it has something to do with the UK recognising teachers from other EU countries (guessing this counts Scotland, Wales etc). To teach in Scotland you need to register with the GTCS (General Teaching Council for Scotland) BEFORE you teach, so there's none of this unqualified teacher stuff that goes on down south.

    In Scotland, you're either Fully Registered, or a Probationer (usually means less than a year of teaching in your specific subject area). So an OTT with teaching experience should be able to gain full registration in Scotland.

    Apparently you can then head down to England (altho really, why would you????) and apply to GTC for QTS based on your Scottish registration, which they recognise (same as they recognise other places in EU).

    Have heard a few ppl on here have done that. I also heard they were 'closing this loophole' but don't see why that would be when they're moving to try and make it easier/more cohesive between EU states.

    Also, don't assume getting Full Rego in Scotland will be a walk in the park. The GTCS are renowned for being difficult to deal with. They are very picky on your experience matching your qualifications and if you are Secondary, they will expect a certain amount of experience in EACH teaching area before they will grant you Full Rego (this is particularly problematic for History teachers from Oz who are forced to teach 'Sose')

    Good luck if it's possible, although can't understand why you'd want to go back to England once you've got Scottish rego!
  16. SOLUTION: get a private school post - you don't need QTS!!
    I got one!! - yes yes yes!
  17. becktonboy

    becktonboy New commenter

    Sorry to jump in late on this thread but I believe the clock starts ticking on the 4 years from the date of first working as a teacher, even a supply teacher doing a couple of days then getting a more permanent post much later.
  18. saoghalbeag

    saoghalbeag New commenter

    Yes, supply teaching absolutely counts. Even if you only teach ONE day in England, then leave to another country, and want to return to England after the 4 years are up TOO BAD you won't get a job or a work permit.

    This is what happened to me. It is really unlucky because the chances are high that a few days of supply in English schools is not going to reveal the QTS issue to you, and if you leave soon after for another country and a completely new system, it's never going to be mentioned to you, until you try to return and it's too late and you are fekked.
  19. Does anyone know if you can apply via the scottish route if you have a recognised teaching qualification from South Africa which is a teaching diploma not an actual degree? I have over 10 years primary teaching experience as well.

    Any advice would be great?
  20. saoghalbeag

    saoghalbeag New commenter

    GTC for Scotland are notoriously picky at times with quals etc but they are usually fairly helpful if you email them your enquiry. Email the Exceptional Admissions department as these are the folk who deal with overseas teachers. Have a look at their website first as they will probably have the info there as far as qualifications go.

Share This Page