1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it too soon to apply for a HOD post?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by anon8315, Mar 15, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    At the moment, I'm a second in department and have been in this role for just over a year - before that I was a ks coordinator (from Sep 2008.)
    I'm really unhappy at the school I am at and am starting to consider applying elsewhere, and I suppose the logical step is a HOD role. What I am worried about is that despite teaching for eight years I have worked in five schools and two years is the maximum I've spent in any one school.
    I know I need to stay longer ideally but I am SO unhappy, the thought of even sticking it out till summer makes me feel a bit miserable.
    Welcome your thoughts! x

2. I am in my first year of being HoD and I am in my sixth year of teaching.
    I find it very similar to being 2nd in Dept. but just with more roles and responsibility.
    I've been applying for Assistant Head jobs for next year (7th Year in Teaching), people say that's too early but only yourself knows best!
    No rules on experience when it comes to applying for roles with responsibility, whenever you feel you are ready!

3. You will know if you are thinking strategically about the future. I would apply for both HOD positions and other 2nds - this will help you escape! Just be careful to pick somewhere that you like.

4. My tuppence worth is too look at what is or more likely who is making you unhappy.
    Take advice from your rep if it is abusive.

If it is one of those SMt blame teachers for their (SMT's failings) with discipline it is tough.

Organise a rebellion it has happened

Just thinking out loud ?

P

5. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Hmmm. I would also look at why you're unhappy first. As you don't say, it's quite hard to make useful suggestions (so please obviously disregard my views if they don't make sense in your context!), but five schools in eight years is rather a lot. Were you unhappy in all of them? I'm on my third school in seven years and I'd say that, to be honest, I found the first year in each of them quite difficult just because I think it takes that long for you to get used to the system/ form friendships/ have the kids get used to you. Therefore I would recommend sticking it out if your only reason for wanting to leave is that you're unhappy.
    If you want a promotion, however, then go for it! Eight years of teaching is a very reasonable time in which to be HOD and, eh, you've got the advantage of having experienced lots of different systems!
    G'luck and remember that it's not very long until the end of term.