1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Amphibien, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The Recruiting fair circus has left the town and the dust has settled.
    I have applied to every suitable job on TES and on other websites.
    Still no interview.
    As somebody else said in another thread: is it just me?
    How long is the recruiting season ?
    When should I start giving up hope?
    Sorry for the doom and gloom [​IMG]

2. Hi,

It is very tough these days. I have applied for many jobs (15+) and only one interview. Turned one offer down.

FS

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I'm guessing you never heard the saying about a bird in the hand. Unless the offer was so awful you couldn't afford to eat you may rue the consequences.
    On the other hand: I had an annoying experience with an agency one a couple of years ago. I was offered a job with one of the schools they were recruiting for, but they messed me around (partly because they wanted me to either say yes or no to the first offer before considering me for the other school they were advertising which I preferred). In the end I was offered a better alternative to either of the schools they had on offer. We will always have that gamble to take; do you take what is on offer or risk waiting for something better to come along. Once signed up that is it (or it should be despite what a dashing young fly-by-night was thinking of doing in another thread).
    Plenty of jobs in all classes of school will be coming up. The higher ranks will have advertised for those vacancies they know about but may advertise again after March.