1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Is it too late to sign up for a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Flumptious, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Flumptious

Flumptious New commenter

I am currently a university lecturer, in geology. I have had my current job for 17 years, but they are about to close my department, and I have decided that I should go into teaching at secondary schools.

Is it too late to apply for a PGCE to start this year? I was planning to do that, and then I realised that the UCAS process is closed. I was very disappointed. But then i thought 'Hang on, this is a postgraduate course, that may be different!'. So now I am unsure.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Established commenter

It's not too late - you can apply right up to August, as long as there are training places available. Go and look on the UCAS website to see courses available in the subject you want to teach.

You need to make sure you've spent time in schools though, at least 2 weeks, so that you're familiar with what goes on in school, and the workload, behaviour and so on.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Depending on your subject, some providers may be closed - you need to check individually. If you are applying for Dchool direct then bear in mind that lead schools may have an allocation - so you may need to check individually. As Bluesky says, you need to get school experience, being in school is very different to HE.

4. vvamadeva

vvamadeva New commenter

The UCAS deadline for Apply 1 is August, I believe, but of course some courses will be closed and others will still be looking, so I guess it depends on the course you want to do and if they're still offering places. As long as they are, it should be fine, I think????

5. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Def not too late to apply ... the application process remains open right up until the start of the course, or until all the places are filled up, whichever comes the earlier.

But you need some classroom observation experience before you apply ... so as the others have said, you need to get that sorted a.s.a.p.

6. Flumptious

Flumptious New commenter

Thanks, guys.
    I have signed up for plenty of classroom experience - by the end of March, i should have had 5 days, at 3 schools. I just emailed them, and go lucky!

Of course, I may find that I hate it. We shall see.

7. cb324

cb324 New commenter

Good luck. Also unsure on whether your trying to complete a pgce in teaching geology at secondary (do they do this?) but you will have a MUCH easier time finding a job in a school if your train in geography. The GCSE curriculum doesn't do much with rocks as a stand alone module but plate tectonics etc is still covered.

8. Flumptious

Flumptious New commenter

Thanks, cb324, but no, I would not try and do geology - too few schools do it, and I have no idea of any PGCE course. I am going for geography, which I'd need to do an SKE for, but one of the Eureka tutors has emailed me to say he'd like to have a chat on the phone tomorrow, so I shall find out more then.

9. amalcolm2

amalcolm2 New commenter

Hey Guys

I need some help. I am currently working as a Cover Supervisor, where i teach Maths and Geography daily. I would like to do a PGCE in Geography, but I have a fashion Degree. Is it possible to get on the course as i do not have 50% of a Geography degree, please help!

10. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Established commenter

Hmmmm. I think you will need to contact some course providers and ask them. As you have not studied Geography, how is your subject knowledge? Would you be able to teach to GCSE or A level?

If you are a Cover Supervisor, I presume you are teaching lessons that have been planned by other teachers - so, can you actually demonstrate any knowledge of the subject?

You could always study some standalone Open University modules to improve your subject knowledge.

11. amalcolm2

amalcolm2 New commenter

Thanks, i'm scrolling ucas know. I teach KS3 -KS4, and hopefully i can get on a ske course.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Senior commenter

Geography is attracting bursary hunters after the 25k tax free. Got to have 50% geography degree. Fashion is design and technology - itself a shortage subject and attracting bursaries. Once you've got the QTS you can teach geography to a head's heart's content.