1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to see someone

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Sinkingship, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I work in an EBD school where I dealt with a serious incident involving scissors and compasses, this happened about 6 weeks ago.
    The first week was horrendous, struggled to motivate myself and sleep was nearly non-existent. After then though things settled down but I still dont feel that I am sleeping right, I regularly have dreams but wouldn't describe them as nightmares. Sometimes it randomly pops into my brain through the day and it all starts again about what things I could of done differently, did I see it coming etc etc?
    We are now 6 weeks later, and in a maths lesson one of the students had scissors in his hands and was innocently cutting out things, but I went straight into fight or flight mode and left the classroom I could feel my heart pumping out my chest.
    I don't think I have any post traumatic stress but I believe its more cognitive and inside I still keep reflecting on the incident. Do you think its time to see the doctor? What I dont want to happen is this to turn into a ticking timebomb.

2. I work in an EBD school where I dealt with a serious incident involving scissors and compasses, this happened about 6 weeks ago.
    The first week was horrendous, struggled to motivate myself and sleep was nearly non-existent. After then though things settled down but I still dont feel that I am sleeping right, I regularly have dreams but wouldn't describe them as nightmares. Sometimes it randomly pops into my brain through the day and it all starts again about what things I could of done differently, did I see it coming etc etc?
    We are now 6 weeks later, and in a maths lesson one of the students had scissors in his hands and was innocently cutting out things, but I went straight into fight or flight mode and left the classroom I could feel my heart pumping out my chest.
    I don't think I have any post traumatic stress but I believe its more cognitive and inside I still keep reflecting on the incident. Do you think its time to see the doctor? What I dont want to happen is this to turn into a ticking timebomb.

3. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I think if you asking the question, then you know the answer.
    It can't do any harm to talk to a professional about this. I've just had a year of counselling and it has left me with much better perspective on things. Try it!