1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to scrap performance management?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If it didn’t exist it would be harder to provide the convenient ‘evidence’ for not moving staff up the pay scale.

EmanuelShadrack and drek like this.
  2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if it carries on as it is, combined with all the other ways of belittling those who still work in the classroom, there will be only managers left and no one to be managed at all.

3. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

One of the funniest features of discussion on education in my experience is that those who support performance management and all the other business nonsense that has infected schools claim standards have fallen, yet the fall has followed their “reforms”.

4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I get the impression that this is somehow the idea.

After all, teachers and pupils just get in the way of the managers.

5. EmanuelShadrack

Excellent point. But, the "reformists" might say, correlation does not imply causation. We are not to blame.

The whole sorry business (pun semi-intended) reminds me of:

"Mistakes were quite possibly made by the administrations in which I served."
    Henry Kissinger, responding the charges that he committed war crimes in his role in the United States' actions in Vietnam, Cambodia, and South America in the 1970s

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In some schools, the ratio of teachers to those managing them must be nearly 1:1. The function of teachers is to give someone for managers to police, and to produce data for them to process.

7. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Emanuel,

Yes, and if I said their “reforms” were meant to make things better, they would reply that even if things were worse than they used to be they were better than they would have been if their “reforms” had not been made.

8. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I've just had my PM meeting - I stuffed my targets last year, I'm on UPS 3 so have a rubbish pay rise, I retire at the end of this academic year and I still have to have at least 4 targets!

drek, agathamorse and woollani like this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

Precisely. The methodology borrowed heavily from those witch-doctor ads you see in the back of certain publications, that offer the marvelous service of protecting you against and curses and spells that your enemies have put on you.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And what will/can they do if you ignore them?;)

bevdex likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Is that a SMART objective? And remember that even if it is, if you are wanting more money as a result, the HT will have the final say on whether on not it has been accomplished - regardless of evidence!
    Good, thank you, see you next year!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

How would this bloke rate on performance management?

[​IMG]

13. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

No you don’t. Well, at least not 4 you have to do anything about.

The chances of them even thinking about chasing you over this are less than zero.

bevdex, drek and agathamorse like this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I will try to be completely professional and objective with Gove's appraisal.
    The original Conservative agenda was not to improve teaching and learning. It was to ruthlessly cut costs and prepare Education for privatisation.
    I would say that on these criteria for his Performance Management then he has exceeded all of his objectives. So, success. Well done Michael.
    However, if there is ever a revolution and Gove is found guilty of treason, crimes against humanity, being an evil, vicious, heartless barsteward etc, then I would like to volunteer to be on the firing squad.
    On second thoughts, even if he gets off then I would still ...

drek and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

The real issues in some schools is that slt and some hts are not part of the process - even though it may say 'all employees should be'. Once you have double standards like that pm collapses...

Also - some schs don't give the pay related awards in quite the same way as each other. With no Union recognition, no pay mobility and some heads refusing to teach challenging students, pm can become a tick box exercise to bully class teachers with sadly :(

drek, Sir_Henry and agathamorse like this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

[/QUOTE]
    Weird-an ex-colleague, who endures being managed by a woman with no degree and no QTS, says that while she was trying to do her work, said 'manager' was talking about how she wants to get her lips made bigger..

drek likes this.