1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to scrap performance management?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 16, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Should teachers be held accountable for results when there are so many factors which are beyond their control?

‘How can we possibly be held accountable for things beyond our control? There are so many factors that contribute to a pupil’s success or failure: parental support, school behaviour systems (or lack of), institutional culture and pupil motivation to name but a few. It can, therefore, only be described as dishonest to claim that classroom teachers are solely responsible for pupil outcomes.

…To be fair to my department head and line-manager, he appeared to sympathise and diligently noted my half-hearted attempts to defend my honour. It really is exhausting, though. I’ve lost the will to fight my corner and contextualise my results, I really have. I mean, why should I have to?’

Are teachers being set up to fail when objectives/targets are tied to results? Have you had to defend your students’ results in a performance review? Is the system really fair to teachers? If yes/no, why? Is it time to scrap performance management?

https://www.tes.com/news/i-was-victim-performance-management

2. woollani

woollani Established commenter

It most certainly is.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And on this I agree 100% with you...o_O

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yup - #metoo

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I can't even bring myself to play Devils Advocate on this one. Its a stupid, stupid idea. Scrap it.

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I’m due mine shortly. It’ll be a complete waste of my time - time which could be better spent of any of a million other jobs on my to-do list - and will probably leave me feeling either patronised and under-appreciated, or (worse) criticised and vulnerable.

What I want to say in the meeting is this: I’m a teacher - I teach. I teach to the best of my ability, given the circumstances. I know I do a pretty good job most days - the children are safe and they learn stuff. Some of them even enjoy it. Let’s not pretend you don’t already know this - I’ve been here ages. I’m not looking for a pay rise, nor do I want career progression. I’m just happy doing my job, and most of the parents are happy with me too. I wish you could trust me and leave me to get on with it.

But since you’re asking me, let’s talk about my performance - because I do all this despite the fact I don’t have all the resources I need, I don’t have the support my weaker pupils need, and my lessons are constantly being interrupted by people popping in and out - I haven’t taught a lesson this week that didn’t have at least one external interruption, and sometimes it’s been so bad I’ve felt like giving up and getting the toys out. You keep taking in my books to check I’m doing whatever is the flavour of the moment, even though I think it’s a complete waste of time, and you mistakenly believe I care what you think. And, while we’re on the subject, why aren’t you in YOUR classroom teaching YOUR pupils? Isn’t that why we all came to work today - to TEACH?

Hmmm... I’d better not say that. But I want to!

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Being a Primary school teacher used to be a much happier job before Performance Management was introduced. Then there were a couple of years when we were Performance Managed, but it was not really onerous. After that it seemed to have engulfed and overwhelmed the (Primary) teacher's life, resulting in a HUGE amount of extra work and stress.
    The sad fact is that the standards of pupil's education has not really improved.
    As with the NHS, Education has been set up to fail, to enable privatisation. Performance Management, along with League Tables and other dodgy, unscientific tools of measurement, were required to show that the current system was/is failing, leading to privatisation to "improve" standards. Performance Management was just a stick to beat and bully classroom teachers with.
    [​IMG]

eamonne1, agathamorse, drek and 3 others like this.
  8. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Definitely! Of all the pointless tasks teachers are asked to do, preparing 'evidence' of having done your job, purely to tick boxes in a performance management meeting has to be the most ridiculous. It is the pointless job that makes me the most angry. I can be heard muttering under my breath about which of the hundreds of students I teach will benefit from the time I'm spending on this - the answer is a resounding 'none'.

eamonne1, agathamorse, drek and 3 others like this.
  9. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Yes - it is a patronising and time wasting load of BS

And performed in many cases by people who are often very bad at teaching.

The last school I was at, it was performed by somebody with zero teaching qualifications.

10. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

For the most part and for the majority, thus leading to competancy, all I have to say is:

Silk purse and pigs ear.
    Well for most of the time

agathamorse and drek like this.
  11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I never did like anybody with JUICY lips, especially blokes
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

eamonne1 likes this.
  12. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Michael Gove - there was a internet meme which said,

"can you look at this picture [of him] and not say the word "tw*t" out loud?"

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Hate the sausage-lipped bully SOOOOOO much!

drek and fionamorristes like this.
  14. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Apart from Gove himself and other politicians of his ilk, who actually thinks Performance Management is a good thing? The right-wing press? People who essentially failed at school, and who have a lifelong chip on their shoulder?

agathamorse and drek like this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

That is a huge ask. I don't know anyone who's capable of such a feat.

bevdex, drek and Compassman like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think it varies from school to school. My last school PM'ed according to results...

My present school doesn't include results in PM.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

My school "helpfully" provided a ppt of the prescribed wording to use for PM and CPD requirements, if you deviated from the wording it was sent back.

I would like some CPD to help the school and my career but I cannot put in for it as it does not use the prescribed words. I wonder what OFSTED would say of the Stepford wives PM clones.

Oh and for those lucky people with the UPS target on your backs you cannot get a pay rise anyway. So in what respect is their pay Performance Related? (other than going to zero if targetted)

What is the point?

18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Lol! Another typical target, impossible to achieve!

drek and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I refuse to participate, its totally meaningless

woollani likes this.
  20. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Scrap the whole ‘easy ways to make teachers feel they’re constantly under threat of the sack’ culture.

If a teacher is consistently carp, fair enough. I know data isn’t everything, but if a school regularly averages Progress 8 of + something, with no other teachers getting below -0.5, and there’s one who never gets above -1.0, no matter what class they get, then there’s a point.

But any teacher who turns up to work and puts a shift in, with reasonable results, shouldn’t feel under any sort of threat.

The stress caused by this is possibly greater than that from workload.