1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to recognise that stress is not good for pupils either?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Eureka!, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Schooling has become crazily stressed for teachers. Though I understand pupil behaviour has been improving over the last 5- 10 years.(Perhaps the improvement in behaviour has been gained at teachers' expense? )

But does anybody really need to get stressed by being in the education system - student or teacher? OK ... if a student is studying for a qualification and struggling a bit, then a bit of stress is unavoidable. But in any case, I can't see the need for serious study like this until post 16,

So why not design an education system that is as stress free as possible? Why all the fuss of educating children to exacting standards? It's not like the outcome is particularly crucial. The way things have become you'd think schools are putting people on the moon or fighting a battle or something. Or conducting surgery!

guinnesspuss and TEA2111 like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Isn't there a perpetual motion machine you could be building?

This is not a news story. This doesn't belong in Education News.

@TES_Rosaline, would you move this discussion to Personal, please?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Totally agree. When I entered teaching in the mid 80's the "in" thing considered by some for schools and teachers was to be "child centred" and I was lucky enough to work at a state school that took this on full. Our head teacher's first rule was that the pupils should want to be at school and we had to plan our lessons to suit. Part of our ethos was to look after the stress of the pupils and we had one teacher who was the "champion" for that. She actually wrote a couple of articles about it in the Guardian.

However, "child centred" is actually more expensive than ignoring many of the needs of the children, and towards the end of the 80's there was a move to discourage child centred education in favour of cheaper approaches. Child centred needs smaller classes and greater classroom resources for pupil activities. I remember the sort of things that were said were "children should learn how to cope with failure" and that we should have "teacher centred" teaching, which I took to mean the pupils should sit there and be "taught at", incidentally allowing larger classes. Change of Head Teacher, SATS and league tables, saw an end to this as we had to start teaching to the SATs etc.

It was a golden time for me in teaching and no where to be seen nowadays. Tell kids all this and they won't believe you!!

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Those in authority don't care about stress. The "weak" fall by the wayside in their Darwinian world.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have noticed in my current roll that there is far less in the way of pressured teaching.
    I am sure the children learn more.

That's not to say that the teachers are not stressed...

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

School counsellor anyone?

8. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Stress is caused by disorganisation, from top to bottom. A disorganised classroom teacher only affects their own class/(es) while a disorganised teacher in a promoted post affects all those below them as well.

Bring back the greasy pole I say - like snakes and ladders - for the promoted.

9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

I think dealing with the problem of stress in teachers, pupils and anyone else working in the education industry is an important and relevant issue for us all to discuss. Thank you @Eureka! for starting the discussion.

10. Vince_Ulam

No news is SystemE, evidently.

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Thanks TES_Ros for that clarification. It's good to know that there is a degree of flexibility about what counts as "education news"!

12. Vince_Ulam

Education news content would naturally seem to be a qualifying characteristic for a thread in Education News.

Scintillant likes this.
  13. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member