1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to pay school governors?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 20, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

It might sound like a pie in the sky idea but the suggestion of paying governors has been made in a new report.

The report outlines that governors should be acknowledged and remunerated for the contribution they make, and the introduction of a salary may even lead to improving the quality and diversity of governing bodies.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/schools-should-pay-governors-report-states

But what do you think of the suggestion? Do governors deserve to be paid for their contribution? How would you feel if only the chair of the governing body was given a salary? What sort of message would it send to other members of the board, the headteacher and the rest of the school staff?

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If governors were paid what would we ( I am one ) be paid for? Monthly I estimate I do 5hrs at school, 2 hrs training and 30hrs at home reading, preparing, doing forums etc. I could claim travel expenses but I do not.
    Being paid to attend meetings might improve attendance. Team building might be helped by paying for governors to have a meal out together. At term of office it would be good to recognise contribution via a special assembly and a decent gift. For anyone lacking a laptop with Office software ( or Ipad ) one could be provided.
    A budget of £400 p.a. should cover it.

3. Trary1

Trary1 New commenter

Great idea!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

£400 per governor, I assume you mean? In a secondary school, that could run into quite a few thousand per year.

I have to say also that meals and gifts are absolutely not appropriate for members of a governing body.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Team building by a meal out? Hmn. You could do the same for cheaper by providing sandwiches and coffee before the evening meetings, if people don't have time to go home beforehand.

I don't think that education funds should be diverted to paying for meals unless there's a recognised need. And I think that most staff in schools would be taken aback to hear that governors were off for a night out on school money.

An Assembly for a departing governor? And a gift?

Ask around the staff room for what people think of those ideas!

I actually understand where you are coming from, @neddyfonk , that governors need to be appreciated. Don't we all! But proper use of the school's money must be a priority. So while I partly agree with you, I don't think that your suggestions are the right ones.

Look what happens when schools don't do this CLICK

Best wishes

6. birmanmum

birmanmum New commenter

Governors should not be employees of the school, that changes the relationship they have with the HT.

The whole point is that they are independent, free to say what they think, not worried about how their question will impact on their "job".

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Staff Governors are currently employees of the school. Should we get rid of them?

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Who said money used to recognise the contribution of governors or provide resources for them to be effective had to come from the existing school budget ? If the powers that be think it is a good idea they would need to make provision for it.