1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to inspect schools’ mental health support services?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 9, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Should mental health and wellbeing be considered important factors as to whether a school should be rated as ‘outstanding’? Would an Ofsted measure/judgement in this area make a difference to the emotional wellbeing of staff and pupils if this was the case?

‘Psychologists are calling on Ofsted to add a new measure when inspecting schools – that of how well a school supports the mental health and wellbeing of its staff and pupils.

A briefing paper produced by the British Psychological Society (BPS) says now is the “ideal opportunity” for Ofsted to embed mental health and wellbeing at the heart of its inspections and guidance – as it currently undertakes a review of its school inspection framework.

BPS director of policy and communications Kathryn Scott said: “One of the things we’d like to see is that for a school to be 'outstanding', all members of staff should be able to identify when a child is struggling [with mental health] and where to send them for support.”’

Would this be a good step or cause more problems for schools who are trying to support children and staff who are suffering poor mental health?

https://www.tes.com/news/schools-mental-health-support-should-be-inspected-ofsted

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

It would make a difference, but I doubt it would be in a good way.

stonerose likes this.
  3. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

Elephant in the room!
    Shouldn't the issue be "Why are so many staff and pupils having these issues?"

4. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

Right, so it seems that psychologist (with probably little knowledge of what is expected from teachers) are saying that Ofsted should be inspecting how schools deal with the mental health issues that agencies like Ofsted have caused by their expectations and inspections.
    That seems to me a bit like saying it's the customers' fault that a restaurant serves rubbish food and that if the customers were better, the restaurant would improve. Duh.

5. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Schools should be required to show staff turnover in their statistics. They also should show age distribution of staff.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Schools should also be required to disclose how many members of staff have been diagnosed with or informed the school of a mental health issue, regardless of whether or not they have taken sick leave as a result, and how the school supported them.

There is already an Ofsted questionnaire staff are asked to fill in: this should include questions about mental health and how staff feel the school dealt with any issues.

8. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Surely the first question in any OFSTED Questionnaire should read :
    Are you going to answer
    A. Truthfully
    B. So that OFSTED go away quickly and stop asking me questions that if I answer truthfully I will be in trouble.
    C. With what management has told you to answer.

9. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

The questionnaire does seem somewhat redundant given that people are afraid to be honest.

stonerose likes this.
  10. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

I’m being very careful here but speaking from experience schools are getting round to all sorts of “well being” packages (oh how the private sector is cashing in) eg counselling, Occupation Health, phased returns etc. What they totally fail to address and are in complete denial about is their systematic failure to recognise workload, the accountability culture, performance pressure and bullying as the CAUSES of staff mental decline and illness. Will Osted actually listen to staff on cause or will school be able to flash their latest ‘well being’ package brochure and that be enough? I don’t hold out much hope for the staff voice being heard.

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

My school is very keen on obtaining OH reports.

I am not entirely sure why because going from experience I am pretty damn sure they don't read them.

stonerose likes this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

Why when It is anonymous and done online?

Please, please do fill in the questionnaire and be honest to a fault.

13. ridleyrumpus

Schools have "Mental Health Support Services?"

Well if they do they my school have kept that damn well hidden.

stonerose likes this.
  14. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Because my school is so small that we are easily identifiable and being honest to a fault unfortunately can come with consequences. I was what I'd like to call diplomatically honest in my responses during Ofsted and I was brutally honest in the whole trust staff wellbeing survey earlier in the year. Doesn't seem to have had an impact... Is this just more pointless information gathering?

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If schools need mental health support services then surely that is a sign our education system is phoooked?

Sally006 and MarieAnn18 like this.