1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time to clock teachers’ working hours?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 5, 2018.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

It should!

2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 New commenter

That's really funny! When my son was a little naughty but old enough to understand I was just teasing, I used to say, "Right, that's it. Time to send you up the chimneys!" I still say it to him now he is an adult if he says or does something irritating.

1 person likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Interesting one and agree . And during teaching lessons too? And during unpaid dinner times?

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

That would be harder, I think. Its not unreasonable for a teacher to read an email during a lesson, even if they can't respond. And at lunch time, you have to be reasonably contactable (which I guess is why we have to stay in the building).

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

Just to be clear - I think I'm like most teachers. I enjoy working with students. I want them to succeed and I'll work hard to achieve that. I want to be in a school that makes demands of me, and the pupils. I really want to have such a strong connection with my school that I take pride in it, and when there are parents evenings, prize givings, school concerts or trips, I would be the first to have my hand up. I don't actually WANT a job that cuts off at 5.s0.

But the system should be organised so that additional time is given by choice. Its not essential for completing basic tasks. I want to feel I'm giving something extra, rather than 'just doing what I'm paid for' if I decided to work all weekend. When I was at school, I was in the library all the time. I went to art club, and I spent one evening a week at the drama club, which was run by the teachers (I didn't even do GCSE drama). It really saddens me that so many of these things have gone to the wall now, because our days are filled up with the basics of our job.

Schools don't need to worry that by cutting teacher workload, they will get less out of us. What they will get are better planned lessons, and more clubs and activities. These are the things really make the difference to that student/teacher relationship. What's going to help your PP students more? Making sure that their book is marked with multi coloured highlighters, or being able to run some after school activity where they learn by stealth? Would you rather feed back on yet another deep marked assessment, or help a child learn to read?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm....but not if the lesson is being observed maybe? And where does 'read email' fit on a lesson plan?

Its finding the time. And not having someone maybe in an office assuming that emails will be looked at during lessons.