1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time for the new academic year resolutions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by harchie, Aug 31, 2011.

1. After having a huge discussion with my partner ( over coffee in waterstones - i love the hols) we set to decide how we could balance or lives as parents , teachers and human beings.
    My partner works in a NTI school and my school is low attaining on entry ( pressure to bring up the scores etc)
    Setting a time limit on work at home, setting up before going home, avoiding the dramas of the stafroom etc.
    its hard, isnt it.

2. Have tidied area under stairs so work can be brought home to do 1-2 hours daily then out of sight when completed. Means can leave bang on time and avoid traffic but still do some work without it sitting there and rebuking me if not all completed!

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Do all marking at school. Bring NO marking home. Ever. I will do it in the lunchtimes if I don't finish it after school. I will NOT lug boxes of books in and out of my house.

4. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I am with you on that one Lardylegs. The box of books never gets touched anyway so what's the point of lugging it backwards and forwards.

5. Agree with both of you. I will not lug my books too and from school every day and not touch them. I will finish them before I leave school. And I will make better use of my time so I don't waste it chatting!

6. sophjtho

sophjtho New commenter

I don't want to be the last teacher leaving every day and STILL be bringing work home!

7. I agree. Not only will i not bring marking home - but in addition - i have today bought myself a really small handbag especiallyfor school. so now i can't carry too much paper work or bits and pieces back wards and forwards either. Bag is only big enough for diary, phone, purse, bottle of water, car keys and bar of chocc. [​IMG]

8. I have a great way of getting marking done and not taking it home - I collect the books open on the page where the children wrote the date and WALT. They put them in a pile in the middle of the table and then the table monitors put them on my desk. I don't have to leaf through the books to find the work and the pile is too big to carry home. I mark it asap and there's no danger of me putting the unmarked pile away as it's too bulky. Before I did this, I used to find unmarked books on the shelf that I'd tidied away and forgotten about.

9. I have a run of tables with trays on the top. The children put their book in a particular tray, open at the page as teacher1974 said. I try also to collect in order of those who are confident in what they are doing first or those who finished the task. I often manage to have a little word with those who were less confident, or who didn't get as much done for whatever reason as they then bring their books next. Any who were truly stuck and traffic light themselves as a red are ocassionally left. They get a reminder that I cannot read minds, that they need to ask for help and then I have a little look at the work while they are there and decide whether to keep them in to finish if they have been lazy, or to put aside time in another lesson to go through it with them if that would be more appropriate.
    It also means that the ones who are most likely to need comments writing are on the top of the pile and the ones at the bottom (when I am losing the will to live) are the ones of the children who found it easier.
    If I have marked their book, they go into a storage drawer for that subject. As the day goes along the different trays fill and they are in plain sight. It isn't the tidiest method, but it def reminds me that the marking needs doing, and looks nice and tidy when all is done.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I collect books open at the page as well. Always.

My resolutions don't relate to marking (I never do it well enough, never have and have decided that I probably never will, so no point stressing over it!).

I will organise my memory stick, so that when people ask for my notes and/or plans a year later I can find them easily.

I will also back up my entire memory stick every single week, so when files become corrupt (because I just yank the stick in and out instead of clicking the green arrow thing...no point making that a resolution though!) I won't have lost them forever.

11. Run a club EVERY break and lunch so no time to mark then... Have wheelie case for easy transportation and have set up 'library' of files, books etc that am likely to need for writing schemes of work over next coming weeks.

12. WHY??????!!!!!!

13. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Mine is also marking-related, so I don't take it home. I think marking ten books before I'm allowed lunch is reasonable, as well as making sure I mark the books of the group I'm working with during the lesson, or writing 'Worked with teacher' so I don't have to mark them later.
    That's really the biggest problem I have with regards to work/life balance. Things like preparing for the following day's lessons can be done the previous afterschool, as long as I know what I'm doing and allow time.
    There is just always so much more to do than I have time for. I wonder if other professions feel like this?!

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I will also be not taking any marking home. I have a new, tiny daughter who is far more important to me than wasting any more time than necessary in school, so I will be marking through lunchtimes and NOT nattering in the staffroom. I will also mark as much as I can in lessons, and NOT nattering with the children.
    I aim to vaguely do guided reading properly this year. We'll see how that pans out though.
    Instead of making up all the APP highlighting at the end of each term, I shall make it up on a weekly basis instead, so I have less making up to do, and this way some of it might not be made up at all, but actually real stuff the kidlets can do.
    I shall continue to pluck performance management targets from the air, knowing that they will be something I'll vaguely achieve just by doing my job, despite forgettting what they are the second I leave my performance management target-setting meeting.
    I shall continue to do what I always do, and that is pay lip-service to all of the nonsensical ramblings, initiatives and implementations that SMT prattle on about in staff meetings, very occasionally doing them myself in lesson observations and when I know a book scrutiny is about to take place, but still just carry on doing what I do at all other times, safe in the knowledge that I'm teaching those little buggers to their very limits and instilling in them a thirst for learning; an inherent understanding of how to be a nice person and to have good manners; to have senses respectively of adventure, humour and fun; how to spell; and to have a great big love of reading, science and maths.
    I also promise to show more interest in the caretaker's inane ramblings at 8.30am on a Monday, when I'm attempting to set up the day's lessons and still have time to make it to the staffroom for a cup of tea.

15. Because I'm an idiot! supposedly part of my role... will try to get some help this year.

16. lardylegs

You, my dear, have been taken for a HUGE RIDE - What kind of a role demands this? You do realise you are not paid for lunch times ?

17. Agree with lardylegs on this - massive ride.
    Unless you have been given a TLR for curriculum enrichment and enhancement that includes before and after school as well as lunchtime provision (extended services etc... and not many of those TLRs about!!!) no member of staff can be asked or told to deliver a lunchtime club.
    The school where I work has a lot going on for the kids but this is down to staff asking to do things voluntarily and not being asked/told to.

18. Don't I know it? [​IMG] It's my own fault - I was so keen to get the job and begin some progression that I foolishly made all sorts of promises of 'formal and informal mentoring at breaks and lunchtimes' plus creating a 'safe haven for all children in the cohort'... reality? I babysit the potential rioters so they don't wreak havoc on the yard.
    Don't want to give too many details as would be just my luck to be identified from this post! Im on a TLR2B I think and am Head of an alternative curriculum type subject. Having an absolute nightmare and don't know how to extricate myself from situation. In addition my threshold targets are aimed at this role...

19. lardylegs

I'd say look for another job right away, but there aren't any!

20. Or I can just go with my original plan of play along until gone through threshold and then at Christmas step down and just do my normal subject without this hellish addition! lol