1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time for teachers to stop battling bureaucracy?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The education secretary Nicky Morgan outlined her wish for teachers when she wrote for TES about the lessons learned a year on from the start of the Workload Challenge:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...eachers-focus-inspiring-children-not-battling

What are your views on teachers’ workload? Why do you think England teachers have some of the longest working weeks in the developed world?

Is the government doing enough to lighten teachers’ workload? What more could or should be done to help teachers have more time to reduce their work and help children flourish in school?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It seems to have escaped Morgan (along with the product of 11 & 12) that bureaucracy is by no means an ideal and frequently a pejorative.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What more could be done?

Scrap the national disaster/embarrassment that is Ofsted. Be a damn good start.

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Words!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I read something recently that in the private sector, the UK state is actually the least prohibitive, the least bureaucratic... might have been on the Telegraph.

So why is that in the private sector, it's good for the State to be hands off and yet in the public sector the dead hand of the State lies heavy?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I cannot count how many times, since I became a teacher in 1980, I've heard countless government ministers say how they plan to reduce bureaucracy for teachers. I just heard it again on the news.

All that has happened, however, is that bureaucracy has increased, together with other aspects of teachers' workloads. I've come to the conclusion that government ministers have NO IDEA what the job of a teacher is these days.

7. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

It is telling that the three advisory groups are chaired by people from academy organisations

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agreed.

What usually happens if anything is they get rid of the bureaucracy of others and replace it with their own proper, clever, useful bureaucracy instead.