1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it the right time to move on?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hk1991, Feb 8, 2016.

1. hk1991

hk1991 New commenter

I am currently in my second year of teaching, and I'm beginning to think about starting a new post. I have been at the same school since starting my career, but In my first year I taught year 4 and I am now teaching year 6. Should I gain another year on year 6 before moving on, or bite the bullet and go for it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A lot depends.

Remember this is just one opinion. And just the opinion of a 'long-in-the-tooth' ordinary teacher, so wait for some more expert advice. Another time tag @TheoGriff or start your post Dear Theo . . to ensure she sees your post, though she's usually pretty good at picking up most-going well and beyond what she needs to as Forum expert.

Sometimes it's good having settled into a school with a couple of different year groups to move on and use that experience you have gained within a different setting. You can have a new start and having to re-establish yourself is easier, if you're not too entrenched in just one school's routines and practices, as some teachers can find.

However proving 'stickablity' is also important and only halfway through your second year is quite a short time.

Remember too that applying for posts and actually getting one, are two different things. So it may help to start looking now for the type of school you'd like for your next challenge.

Then what type of experience / year groups/ contributions to your present school do you need to have 'under your belt' to make you a serious candidate for such posts?

I know a 'responsibility post' came up in my third year of teaching and I didn't feel ready to apply. My Deputy Head at the time encouraged me to do so to do precisely that to ensure I was ready the next time a suitable post came up. I didn't get it, but the experience and preparation were so important and useful to my development as a teacher.

You need to choose you r next school carefully, as it may be advisable to saty there for more than a few years to show you don't jump around too often and are committed to a school. however I think that attitude may well be different i today's world where it seems people do move around a lot more than when I started teaching.

Best of luck with your future.

3. hk1991

hk1991 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I would look to move schools in September and I am also Computing Co-ordinator at present but would like to make the move to a city school so weighing up my options. Many thanks!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The basic criterion here is that if you have the experience that they are looking for, meet their requirements, then that's fine. If not, not.

Unless the other applicants have even less of what they are looking for - don't forget that it is all competitive!

My only slight concern would be that you have had no consolidation at all. Two years, two age groups, you are already wanting to move on . . . I might worry that you would be in and out of my school too in a flash.

Best wishes

5. hk1991

hk1991 New commenter

So although I have been in the same school for 2 and it was the school placed me in year 6, you would suggest holding on for another year?

Thanks

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As I said above, I think y it might be a good idea to start looking, which will give you an idea of what schools may be looking for. Then you can start to maximise your experience and contribution in your present school to make you a good potential candidate in the future. The fact that the school moved you to another year group is, in my opinion, irrelevant. Teachers are often moved around in Primary to maximise their experience.
    As Theo has said it is about matching what you can offer to what a school requires, so the wider your 'experience/ contribution base, the better an application you will be able to produce.

Looking will also hopefully help focus you as to what CPD you should be looking at, how you can contribute within your present set-up etc.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

The key issue is why do you want to move. If you were 1) unhappy in your current job 2) on a fixed term contract or 3) changing your personal circumstances then i can understand.

2 years is not a long time though. Unless for one of the above reasons, I feel that some schools may well be wary of you to be honest. From what you have posted there seems little reason for going? What reason do you have for wanting to work in a 'city' school? Is it really that important? Attempting and then moving schools is time consuming, stressful and not easy.

I see three years as a good minimum in the first school. This gives you time to learn a bit of your craft, enough to offer a new employer something, and to have contributed to a school what gave you your break.

Middlemarch and Lara mfl 05 like this.