1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it sometimes acceptable, or even recommended, to...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Dec 27, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

teach phonics, not as a discrete session, but as part and parcel of a literacy lesson?
    I'm not talking about the reinforcement and incidental phonics work that obviously happens in all lessons, but the actual phonics session itself.

For example, before the holidays I had my class playing a game with packing a suitcase for a teddy by reading the (differentiated) word given to them. This worked as part of the literacy lesson, so I merged the whole phonics session into literacy. We still did all the steps of the phonics session, just not as a 'now it is phonics' kind of way.

So, if children still have clear and definite phonics teaching and learning each day, is it wrong to sometimes merge it into another lesson?

And no I don't want to know anything at all about the rights and wrongs of teaching phonics, nor of spelling, nor of anything academic at all thank you. I do teach phonics each and every day and am happy doing so, this is just asking for views from other people who also have a class and teach phonics each day but have more experience than me,

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Try it. If you find it works, continue. If not, don't.
    Don't be afraid to try something new.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think it is good practice to include phonics (call it phonics, spelling or whatever you want) in your lesson. Some things have to be taught discretely but then you have to demonstrate how they applying in reading and writing, whether reading or writing in English, Maths, Science, Topic ...
    If my class are doing maths word problems I still encourage them to work out the words they stick on by decoding if we writing up a science experiement I encourage children to encode ... if we are labelling a design we work out how to spell words

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd say 'Go for it, minnie!" After all years ago we taught phonics as part of the 'normal' lesson if it fitted and changed the length of the time we did it depending on how it fitted. It was just one aspect of English teaching.
    As someone else has said if it doesn't work do it discretely and when it fits do it 'integrated'.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeps I definitely do this..I sort of think of it as incidental phonics teaching. It is one of the reasons I am pleased we changed to teach our classes phonics and not have sets.
    I have tried it and it does. I'd not do it all the time, but only when appropriate. However I was hoping for some phonics expert to say 'yes it is a very good idea to sometimes scrap the 'phonics session' and have a longer literacy one that incorporates all the phonics teaching you need that day'. Especially as my SLT are all KS2 based, have no clue about phonics except that we must teach it for 20 mins a day and they want to see it timetabled as such.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL mustn't use that phrase in my school. It shows you are stuck in the past and haven't moved with the times. Teaching has changed a lot recently you know!

Yes I do disagree, but unfortunately I don't get to judge myself!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The thing is, I'm old enough to remember <u>new</u> initiatives coming in, going out of fashion and now are 'the latest initiative'- just with a new name.
    You say teaching has changed, but in my experience doesn't change so much. as go round in circles e g teachers who say they're unfamiliar with an 'integrated curriculum- that's the way I was trained, many moons ago.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I, personally, don't say anything of the kind. My SLT do. If I was to say, as my reason for putting phonics into the literacy hour for a day, 'well when I started teaching, we....' I'd have lost the argument immediately.