1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it snowing yet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 4, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

We now have a couple of inches and is the type of snow that sticks to the Sky dish, making TV viewing "interesting"!!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's about 4" deep here in N.E. Derbyshire.

3. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Here in mid Essex we have a rather strange mix of rain and snow at the same time. It looked kind of silvery from the window as well as white flakes so I stuck my hand outside. It's not sleet, just a mix of icy raindrops and small fluffy snowflakes - odd!
    It has settled on the ground though and my garden and path are now all white. Don't think it's that deep though. I'm not looking forward to the rain part of it freezing on the roads though [​IMG]
    My son is getting excited but I keep telling him it will be gone by Monday so he'll still have to go to school.

4. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Who put all those 'though's in there? Obviously I don't practise what I preach to my class when I tell them to proof read their writing!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Woke up this morning to find a blanket of snow outside. (East Coast)
    My front lawn, the pavement and the road all blend into one white mass.
    I am not leaving the house today!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm in the Midlands. Our forecast rain didn't come so the snow is still here. I'm off out later to throw snowballs for the dogs. My two white dogs love the snow. They disappear in it and you can just see collar, nose and eyes!
    I have a job interview tomorrow, about 15 miles away. According to the forecast it is due to rain this evening but they said that about last night. I'll make sure I am all prepared before I go out to play in the snow but at the moment I would worry about even getting the car off the drive.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We woke up to a beautiful covering of snow this morning. Cariadlet's already out there. I have promised to join her later and we'll have a day of making snowmen and snow angels, throwing snowballs and sledging.
    But right now, I'm so cosy in my dressing gown that I'm sipping my tea as slowly as possible to make it last. I can't quite face getting dressed yet.

8. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Only ice here in the North West coast. It rained all day yesterday and has just frozen overnight - looks might dangerous out there. I've got some salts but I'll have to brave a skating rink to get to it!

9. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

We have actually got zip! No snow, just cold. Well, possibly not even that cold - it's 5 degrees. I feel left out.
    Though I am glad I'm not snowed in or having to dig out my car....

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No you don't! Remember november and December 2010? Remember how "fun" that was? I still have flash-backs!

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There was a good thick covering this morning and the neighbours were all out clearing the road and paths. It seems to be thawing a bit now though - it'll be lovely and icy in the morning and I've got a steep hill to get off my road.

12. our church service got cancelled. miss p, home for the weekend, had offered to help with sunday school, so she gets brownie points and the lie-in. so did master p's school play rehearsal - he is soooo happy.
    it's melting very picturesquely out there

13. What hope for tomorrow I wonder?

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I had great fun last night. Buxton was deep in the stuff. The old van drove like a Finnish rally car. Drifting through the corners and battering into the drifts on the tops. Joy, intense concentration, and uncertainty. Lucky I have big knobbly tyres and a local farmer who owes me a few favours on speed dial.
    Was your journey really neccessary?
    Absolutely not!

[​IMG]

15. None here. Hurrah!
    It's mild as Spring.

16. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

It's positivly tropical here now in the northwest!!
    Please put you location guys.

17. Had a couple of cm here yesterday afternoon near Cardiff. Then the rain came down overnight and the majority of it has been washed away and it's quite mild.

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's 8 degrees here in Devon.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mid Cambs had 4-6" overnight awoke to a world of white. Warmed up to 5C today, lots of melting but still lots left, now dropping to zero again, lots of ice tomorrow I guess, though the roads seem to all be clear.

20. My boyfriend and I were in London when it started snowing. I was just hoping I would be able to get back as I had promised my manager I would be covering the early shift at work for colleagues who were expecting to be snowed in. We spent 45 minutes searching for the restaurant my friend was having her birthday dinner in, our feet getting more freezing by the minute and the snow covering us. We spent under an hour at the restaurant before having to go to catch the last train back which was delayed and then stopped on the track because the train in front had broken down. We then spent over an hour waiting for our connecting train and that faltered twice on the way back too! Not as bad as a work colleague of mine whose train journey took an hour when it usually takes 5 minutes and then the train finished its journey a stop before hers so she had to walk an hour and a half up snow covered hills at 12:30 am, injuring her leg in the process! Snow and public transport do not mix!