1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it September?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

OK I know the schools are going back but do gigantic arachnids know this?
    This week has seen the unfortunate-for-them arrival of three 3" monsters. I thought huge spiders came out looking for reproductive sex when they noticed a cooling of the weather i.e. Sept/Oct, not during a freak heatwave four months earlier. And why haven't I got any gin?

MrA has spent 30 mins dismantling the spare room bed to catch the *ucking hideous beast clinging to the divan base alive even though I had Death Spray at hand, and now he's narked off with ME for the waste of his errr lockdown time.

AAAARGH!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No dear, it's Monday.

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

You need a kitty - mine sits each evening on the edge of the sofa, peering in all directions and hoping to spot a spider to hunt. It's her favourite entertainment, and she sings a happy little "Look! I've found a spider!" song the whole time she's patting it and squashing it. It actually makes me feel sorry for the spider, so I usually go and intervene as soon as I hear the singing start.

I agree with you, though - they're definitely out early this year. We've had several huge ones appear indoors in just the last week.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You should have seen the ones scuttling out of hiding when I cleaned the garage about 2 weeks into lockdown. Dozens of them - all colours, all shapes, all huge.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Is the weather about to change? To be honest, the soundtrack of my life has been a confusuing one regarding the seasons.

Take this for example. It was on the wireless every day when I was a child at the start of the new school year.

And then as I grew older, if the misery that knowing the summer holidays would eventually end, they had this.

On top of all that we had this idiot pretending it was fun to walk in the rain with the one you love.

I have to say that my personal experience of being in the rain with anyone I loved hasn't been a particulary pleasant one. Nobody wants to get drenched and I'm sure all lovers would be willing to share an umbrella, but the partners I had always insisted on holding the sodding thing themselves.

Life being what it is with the female of the species usually being smaller than the male, this inevitably resulted in my getting an eye poked out of have the rainwater drain down the back of my neck. In all seriousness, has there ever been a song that mentions the weather that can be relied on in anticipation of the year ahead after the misery of winter is done?

Lalad likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Sunshine After The Rain? Here Comes Summer? Here Comes The Sun?

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

In the Summertime?

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Spiders are useful insects and in this country utterly harmless.

EmanuelShadrack and coffeekid like this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Useful arachnids.

10. Aquamarina1234

I KNOW!!!
    SO WHAT?

Rott Weiler, Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Are you shouting at the ‘useful’ or the ‘arachnids’ part of my comment? :D

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If I see a spider - I let it get on with what it is doing.

The ones I find in the bath go back into the garden.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Some of them are quite cute too......

upload_2020-6-2_7-44-15.jpeg

14. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah @peakster ! Not spider photos again..

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Our gas meter box is at ground level, under our front window. I am always wary of lifting its lid to take the reading, as this box seems to be the lair of some very large spiders. Usually, the accumulation of webs obscures the numbers, so I have to brush them out of the way, stirring up much hostility among the box's arachnid denizens. My wife, who grew up Kenya, is not in the least bothered by spiders, and regards my 'reluctance' with some amusement.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@peakster

I also like spiders. If you're looking for something to read, may I recommend "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaicovsky. It's a sci-fi novel and part of the plot has spiders evolving to the extent apes did. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Can not stand spiders, they can reduce me to a quivering wreck. No idea why. My background is zoology, I have happily worked with locusts, cockroachs, tapeworms, liver flukes, snakes,lizards. mice, rats, but spiders... screams inside. Mr M has to rescue me if I see one in the house.

Jamvic and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  18. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

19. Aquamarina1234

It was to Peakster but you can have it too! If I had a pound for every time I've heard a lecture on how useful, harmless, clever and strangely beautiful :)eek:) they are I'd never have needed to get a job!

Jamvic likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When our daughter was a youngster, one of those spiders with the long legs in front of it, span a web at the top of the shower cubicle. It was quite an intricate piece of weaving and we had not got the heart to brush it away. Far from being frightened of the spider, our daughter christened it 'Spiddy', and she used to blow on its web, causing the spider to move slightly, as if in greeting.

I happened to see the death throes of a spider a few years ago, and I have to say that I was very moved. For a while, there was a reasonably sized spider in our living room, underneath an armchair. Often, during the course of the evening, it would emerge from its hiding place and walk across the carpet to the next piece of cover, usually the TV stand. I began to feel quite warmly towards it, as it walked along very sedately, not with that frenzied clamour of legs that does much to make spiders look unfriendly and threatening. Then, one morning, there was the spider under the chair with it legs folded up underneath it. Thinking that it was dead, I scooped it onto a piece of paper to put it the bin, only to see that it was trying to move its legs. With much effort, it got its legs back in position but when it tried to move only two or three of them seemed to work. Using only these, it pulled itself along for a few inches, stopped, tried again, and then stopped for the last time. As I watched it, its remaining legs clawed up underneath its body, and it stopped moving. I gently pushed its legs but there was no reaction: it had spun its last web. For so game a creature, I thought that the bin was not a fitting resting place, so I put it out on the front lawn.

EmanuelShadrack and Jamvic like this.