1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it reasonable to spend your NQT time...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by petrapan, Sep 8, 2011.

1. marking and assessing? preparing resources? reading'/researching?
    I don't mean solely btw, I mean as well as some observations or courses as needed.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

All NQTs I actually know, not some of the ones on here, spend their NQT time as extra PPA time and need it!

Sounds reasonable to me.

3. Sounds fine to me. Try to get out as much as you can to observe other practice but in the first few weeks, it might be that you need to take the time to help adjust to the workload.

4. Of course!

When I opened up your message based on the title, I thought you were going to say internet shopping or something!

Spend it in whatever way supports your teaching. I would imagine largely planning and marking.

5. Thats how I spent mine today!
    Marking, planning and sorting out resources!
    Oh and I signed my contract [​IMG]

6. I did last year, also spent some of the time observing colleagues/on courses.

7. In hindsight, I regretted not spending more time observing colleagues ... even "passively" - eg sitting at the back, whilst marking books.

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

If I could have the time again, I would use it for more observations and more courses. There were many NQT courses offered, but I only went to a few. I got too used to having an extra afternoon to do marking etc. and when I didn't have that time the next year I found it hard to fit everything in and motivate myself to do all the marking/assessing I needed to do, because suddenly I had to do it in "my" time.
    I thoroughly recommend you watch the others teachers in school and do marking/planning in your PPA time and after/before school, so you get used to it.

9. mpc

mpc

Observing colleagues can feel like an extra thing to do (I know I felt that way sometimes) but it really is a golden opportunity to get out and about. You could arrange to stay for a part lesson so it needn't seem too onerous.
    I have to say I would be a bit narked if anyone sat in on one of my lessons marking books as this gives a strange message to the kids... (am I just too old-fashioned for words???)

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Me too. I don't mind if someone just wants to see how I get them quiet at the start. fine, come and see that part and then go. Or they just want to see how I let them go at the end, fine just pop in 10 mins before then end. But don't sit marking books...what is the point?

11. Technically NQT time is for professional development and PPA time is for marking planning and assessing.
    That said there is not enough PPA time for all teachers let alone NQTs. Many NQTs will use some of their time for extra planning and marking, but at the end of the year, or if things go wrong you cannot say that you did not have enough professional development if you chose to use it for something else.

12. MPC makes a fair point ... clearly any observation by an NQT is by request and has to be agreed by the other colleague ..certainly wouldn't want to "nark" someone.
    I do not think it would normally send a confusing message to children - when I was an NQT, senior colleagues never raised this as an objection when I asked to sit in like this - and I have been happy for NQTs to sit in my classes in this way. ... but if other raises it as a problem, then it is certainly to be considered.
    ... but I'm puzzled by the question "What's the point?"... as an NQT, you often don't know what you don't know ... you may not be aware what you are going to learn in a passive observation of this nature; you will certainly be able to multi-task and be aware of what is happening in the lesson ... and able to put down your pen and give it full attention if something particularly interesting comes up.

13. mpc

mpc

I don't think I was very clear - sorry!
    I never object to being observed but if you're in my lesson I expect you to be watching, note-taking, engaging etc rather than sitting there marking.

14. Thanks MPC ... no, it was clear enough originally, and you have fully clarified your requirements. I'm just suggesting that other teachers - including me, now - would not, rightly or wrongly, require only the activities you indicate.
    We've probably spent enough on this side issue ... the main point I was trying to make - and it's been echoed by others - is that observations are very valuable during the NQT year, not least because NQTs have greater opportunity to do them.