1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it really that strange......?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Goldopals, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

If you work in government school in South Australia when you move to a new town, or a distance of over 100km the department of Education pays for a removal truck. The teacher has to pack up the house.
    I moved yesterday to a new house 6 hours away. I asked the removalist what I could do to help because I had nothing to do until they left and it felt rude to do nothing while they were working. They gave me the strangest look and said that I could just move stuff to the verandah. I also offered them a drink of water.
    Mum met them at the new house and they told her I was being abnormally nice! Apparently their clients almost never offer to help and are usually bossy or ignore them totally. I found that strange; I only showed them common courtesy.
    Would you offer to help with little things? Alternatively, would you just let them get on with it because they are getting paid to move your things?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I would certainly offer to help (in the full and certain expectation of being told no) and would make cups of tea etc.
    What I find the most strange, however, is the word "removalist". [​IMG]

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assume that they have a system and they probably prefer to get on with the job without interference. If I was around,I would offer them tea and coffees.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I bet removalists prefer tinnies.

5. The first time I moved with an actual removals company I asked the guys if I should carry boxes and they told me their insurance didn't cover me if I injured myself or dropped anything so I had to leave them to it.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If I ever move to Australia,I will make sure that I stock up on tinnnies!

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

When we moved house, I didn't offer to help as I assumed that I'd be more of a hindrance than a help - plus that was what I was paying them for. But I did offer mugs of tea/coffee at both houses. I tried to balance being polite and friendly, with not getting in their way.

8. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I was a bit worried about being a hindrance and getting in their way. They were so shocked that I even offered them a drink.