1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by peanut333, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Hi

I'm quite new to this forum.... Forums in general really. But since I've joined, I've read so many posts about people currently undergoing their pgce and basically having the worst time of their lives. Even people who have always dreamt of being a teacher. They're constantly stressed, surviving on next to no sleep and have just lost any sense of joy in their life.

I feel so excited about becoming a teacher, but these posts have ignited a sense of fear in me. I know teaching is a demanding career and I know I'm not in for an easy year doing a pgce, but is it really that bad?

patternandsurface and pepper5 like this.
  2. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I think you have to recognise that many (most?) posters here are not representative of the wider teaching force (and definitely not of teachers in training - there would be NO teachers coming through if it were the case!). That's not to suggest it will be a walk in the park in any way though, more that the forum tends to present the more negative aspects.

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  3. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I finished my PGCE in summer 2016, so my experience is still relatively recent and, I hope, relevant.

I certainly did not enjoy my PGCE, but it was not a living martyrdom either. I went in with my eyes open about:
    • The state of the education system;
    • The awfulness of the behaviour of children and leaders;
    • Having other options.
    My main motivation was getting the bursary money and the options associated with QTS/PGCE. For me, teaching has always been an option rather than a career in its own right.

I did not take too much of the course with the utter strictness (verging on cultishness) that many of my younger colleagues did, who entered into it in a spirit of redeeming the world. Despite some trials, I settled into it and life was quite pleasant. I did the minimum in some respects, but I passed decently enough (grade 2 for teaching; mid-60s mark average for the academic component).

I did take a teaching job, very briefly, after finishing, but I have not darkened the doors of the classroom for a good while. I ventured in another, albeit related direction. I have been very happy and fortunate as a result.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It can be very challenging and stressful. It depends on the school you are in and the support you receive. Many teachers !eave within five years of qualifying because of the terrible working conditions: long hours, challenging behaviour and low wages.

I truly wish I could say it was different.

5. rsdn

rsdn New commenter