1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by japonicabean, May 7, 2012.

1. Is it possible to take retrospective action over work place bullying? Just wondering?

2. Is it possible to take retrospective action over work place bullying? Just wondering?

3. I would think about it very carefully before you take any action. There's a reason or reasons that you didn't act at the time of the bullying. Experience suggests to me that sleeping dogs should be left so.

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

What did you have in mind? All sorts of things are possible but it depends how much evidence you have and whether you have anything to lose by doing so.

5. Yes it is possible, And even desirable. The problem with sleeping dogs is that the bullying persists, and we have for too long been prepared to walk away rather than that confronting the bully. PM me for some ideas as to what you can do?

Good luck!

6. Certainly is, but there are time limits.
    Proceedings in court must start anytime within 6 years of the alleged harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act and within three years for personal injury claims.
    If not, then the case is time-barred or statute barred.
    Why?

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I wondered about this too.
    Sometimes you feel so ill, you haven't got the inner resources to take action at the time.
    (In my case, my predecessor had taken action against the bully, but I didn't know this at the time. Then I was bullied, and resigned. So two teachers in short succession bullied. Defies belief.)
    However, when I researched the issue, I seem to remember there was a 'cut off' point after which it was not possible to act.
    Anyway, just musing really. I see from these boards that there are posters with much more knowledge and information than me.

8. I would be interested in learing more about this and also any success stories. Often there are long patterns behind the bullying and the problem escalates as long as the bully gets away with it.
    I would recommend using a phone/tape recorder to record meetings and any other type of encounter where the bully has an opportunity to operate. If I had recorded the session where my link tutor chose to carry out a verbal assassination on me I would have had a very strong case.
    Worryingly (although not surprisingly) a similar situation is happening where I am now (although I am not the target). I am observing the proceedings from a position of enlightenment and awareness. It is extraorindary, because the person involved in the bullying must realise how unacceptable his behaviour is - I think he has a serious personality disorder, a bit like my nutty link tutor had. It's scarily common, especially where people are in positions of authority.

9. Cissy and Barefoots are both correct. Teachers are always going to find it a battle because abuses of authority are notoriously difficult to resist. Not only does it take a great deal of inner will - as well as a realistic assessment of all possible outcomes, the burden of proof is considerable, which means that the standard of evidence has to be much higher than most people envisage would be needed. Recognising that someone in a position of authority has a "different" demeanour is one thing: doing something about it is quite another.

10. Thank you for your responses was just wondering...it is something that I need to think long and hard about

11. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I'm going through it now. If you want to know what the options are and what's involved, send me a PM. Xx

12. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Precisely. Even though I was very shellshocked, stressed and desperate at the time, I knew what had happened was wrong though I ( unlke others who were screaming at me to take action ) failed to realise how strong a position I was in at that critical moment in time. However, I was willing to act and I've very little doubt had the union rep taken my complaint seriously, things would have been very different. Part of the problem then was knowing very little about what action was open to me at that point. I've learned a lot since on here though!