1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to teach at primary with a secondary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Brainbox222, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Hi there =)
    I'm nearly finished my secondary science PGCE, but unfortunatly i'm fast realising that secondary isnt really my cup of tea and i feel i would much prefer primary.
    I've been mulling it over for quite a while (from the beginning of the course) and i still feel the same way. Irrespective of this, i'm intending on completing this secondary science PGCE but i want to know what my options are afterwards???
    I've done some research and i've found that i cant apply for a primary PGCE afterwards as i would already have a PGCE QTS.
    I've heard about conversion courses to gain more experience into primary but have had no success actually finding any such course.
    Finally i've been told i can technically teach primary with a secondary PGCE but will be up against those with a primary PGCE and experience.
    So in a pickle really, fast becoming depressed, feel stuck in rut.
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated,
    Thank you for listening to my rambles =(