1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to pass induction with the final term at a new school??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by clairerandall, Mar 2, 2011.

1. After a very disappointing start to my NQT since september (various reasons related to no TA at all, lack of support, negativity, huge behaviour issues - ending up with me on antidepressants) I've handed in my notice. Although school are saying I'm not failing feel that things are really negative about me and going that way. They won't sign any standards, and it was only when I said how down I was that they seemed to suddenly be nice (for now at least!)
    As I am depressed, school agreed to allow me to leave earlier than Easter. Since then they are now saying that they will do their best but at the moment they can't get anyone in. I was under the impression that if I left early I would have 2 terms elsewhere, but NQT people have said I only have whatever is left e.g. if I left 2 weeks earlier than Easter - I would have 1 term and 2 weeks to finish. They did mention the possibility of extention of NQT but this is down to the new school.
    The reality of 1 term to pass seems unmanageable. What should I do for the best? Staying fills me with dread, but leaving with one term to get all standards done seems impossible!
    Has anyone actually managed this - and was it very hard??

2. After a very disappointing start to my NQT since september (various reasons related to no TA at all, lack of support, negativity, huge behaviour issues - ending up with me on antidepressants) I've handed in my notice. Although school are saying I'm not failing feel that things are really negative about me and going that way. They won't sign any standards, and it was only when I said how down I was that they seemed to suddenly be nice (for now at least!)
    As I am depressed, school agreed to allow me to leave earlier than Easter. Since then they are now saying that they will do their best but at the moment they can't get anyone in. I was under the impression that if I left early I would have 2 terms elsewhere, but NQT people have said I only have whatever is left e.g. if I left 2 weeks earlier than Easter - I would have 1 term and 2 weeks to finish. They did mention the possibility of extention of NQT but this is down to the new school.
    The reality of 1 term to pass seems unmanageable. What should I do for the best? Staying fills me with dread, but leaving with one term to get all standards done seems impossible!
    Has anyone actually managed this - and was it very hard??

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you have had 1 assessment in Autumn Term and left early this term then you still have 2 assessments to go. The minimum assessment period is one term and if you have not served that period then an assessment cannot be made. Check out the statutory guidance on teachernet.
    Going early still gives you options however if you remain for the third term you need to be sure that you can turn it around particularly with 2 not meeting standards assessments already banked
    Do discuss with your union for help

4. Thanks for your advice.
    I passed the first assessment as meeting the standards, which is why it is so frustrating that they are not signing off anything.
    I've spoken to NQT advisors and checked guidance which confirms that I will have an interim assessment if I leave before the end of term which I will take to the new school. I was under the impression from other posts on here that leaving early would give me 2 terms at a new school.

Hey hum notice given in leaving anytime now..

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes you still have 2 terms to complete. An Interim assessment would typically cover a period of less than a term so you can take it with you to the new school this means they reduce the induction period of that term you join in by however many weeks the interim asssessment covers.

6. Thanks so much for all your advice! Would an interim assessment have a grade? Like a formal end of term assessment?

7. won't necessarily have a grade probably just a summary of progress towards meeting the standards.
    James