1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to move from Secondary to Primary?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thesmallfabric, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I am nearing the end of my Secondary PGCE (English) course.
    I have enjoyed the course but as part of my course I had to spend time in a primary school and enjoyed it much better than I expected.
    I worked in one school where the Year 7 intervention teacher was primary trained which got me thinking - can it work the other way round?
    Would a year as a TA in a primary school help?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. Yes its possible, but please do not waste your qualification by working as a TA (this is a whole other rant). Once you have QTS you are qualified to teach any children.
    The problem you sort of have is realising this a little too late, or a little too early - there will be serious questions asked probably about your stickability if you cannot commit to your prefered age group before you have even finished your course (sorry, I'm tired - I'm not trying to be horrid, just telling it like some people/SMT might see it).
    Your best course of action is to either work in Secondary school for a couple of years and try and get involved with KS3 as much as possible, possibly transition team, perhaps working with any Primary schools as either enrichment/workshops/tasters/G&T schemes or something. Then after a couple of years nudge your way into year 6 on the back of the transition work. You will need to do your NQT year in Secondary English really anyway (you don't *have* to - a school cannot make you do your NQT year in a different subject, but it doesn't work the same the other way around - there are good reasons for this though, get it out of the way in a subject you have at least some experience and resources for, you will be thankful you have :) )
    The other best way is to kiss security good bye and depending on where you are in the country do Primary supply. You may well be able to score a long term, Maternity, sickness or something cover and that would set the ball rolling with regards to either a long term/perm position or for experience on your cv and applying for primary jobs. This is the route (sort of) that I took.
    Be warned that Primary is very over subscribed, there are many primary teachers that cannot get a job, so you have to be better than them basically to get a look in as you do not have the Primary PGCE that they all do.
    Good luck, its possible, but above everything else, doing a placement in a Primary School and actually doing as a full time gig is very different - I much prefer Primary from the PoV of the kids, but the being treated like a small child, checked up on all the time, huge huge amounts of paperwork (nowhere near the same in Secondary) and stupid red tape that I didn't have in Secondary make it insanely hard imho.