1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to make money from selling your resources on TES?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by snugboro23, May 29, 2017.

1. linghong

linghong New commenter

Thank you all for the information given.

2. MrsRockhard

MrsRockhard New commenter

I’m thinking about selling my resources. I’m nervous about copyright etc. E.g. some of my resources started as someone else’s but they are completely changed by the time I’ve finished except maybe the animation on PowerPoint. And what if I crop cartoon pictures of e.g a Calculator from the internet? What can or can’t I use? Any help would be much appreciated from anyone who knows.

3. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

If they started as somebody else's you need to ask permission from the original creator if you can adapt them and sell them. Generally a big no-no, ethically and legally. As for grabbing images from the Internet, generally you need to ask permission from the creator. There are some sites that have copyright free images you can use, pixabay is one. You can also purchase graphics you can use but often these have terms and conditions (such as including an acknowledgment to the original creator or the images have to be flattened so your customers can not grab the images from your resources). It is better to create your own graphics if possible. Be careful with copyright, if you have not completely created something yourself from scratch then ask permission or don't use it otherwise you can get a hefty bill, I know authors this has happened to. Don't use lyrics from songs, images from the Internet, backgrounds and themes from others, scanned in covers or sections of text books, previous exam papers, exam board logos, unless you have got permission from the copyright holder. If you want to create quality resources and sell them on TES, create it from scratch yourself.