1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to make money from selling your resources on TES?

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by snugboro23, May 29, 2017.

1. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Hi!

I am thinking of putting up some of my resources up for sale and was wondering how hard it is to organise and how lucrative people have found it.

Are most of you selling resources and working full - time?

Is anyone making so much money from selling resources that they don't need to teach at all? (wishful thinking, maybe ...)

Cheers

Snugboro23

2. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

no chance roughly a few hundred a month! so not making a fortune

3. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

One can dream...

4. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Thank you Teachercellar and mrajlong:)

A few hundred a month sounds great - but I guess to achieve that level you'd need a large range of amazing resources for sale?

I am doing supply at the moment so any extra income would be appreciated!!!

Can anyone else share their experiences?

Cheers

Snugboro23:)

5. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

It is possible to make a living selling resources full time. Tes is still getting going (IMO) but other sites are there and you can sell from your own website as well.

There is a lot of advice on here and Facebook which will help you. We are very nice here :)

Good luck

6. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

From what I can tell, the vast majority of resource sellers are currently teaching too. Some are retired and do this for extra income.

newromantic and snugboro23 like this.
  7. Jane Austen

Jane Austen New commenter

I average £50 a week.

snugboro23 likes this.
  8. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Thanks for all the comments - very useful.:)

Would it be a good idea to put up some free resources first.?

Jane Austen - £50 a week sounds great to me - well done!!!

9. Shamster

Shamster New commenter

ups and down at the moment with exam season its a bit down. But on average I make 250 pounds per month.

joannammarsh and snugboro23 like this.
  10. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

How many resources do you have available in order to earn 200 a month?

MosaiK likes this.
  11. studeapps

studeapps New commenter

Don't you make money from the books? Oh, they're out of copyright - I see.

12. joannammarsh

joannammarsh New commenter

What other sites are there for selling teaching resources - I've tried TeachersPayTeachers with limited success, would welcome any guidance you can give...(thanks in advance)

13. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I sell here and tpt. I make personal contact with buyers when ever I can and always make it clear that I'm happy to make requested resources. This leads to private sales.

If people like your work they will come back and if they know they can ask you for anything they need and it will be good quality then you get repeat custom

Hope that helps

14. occold25

occold25 New commenter

I average about £45-55 per month at the moment, but then I've only uploaded about close to 50 resources. I suppose that more you upload, the more well-known and respected you become - which I have certainly noticed in the last few months.

newromantic likes this.
  15. WhiteboardWoes

WhiteboardWoes New commenter

@snugboro23 How did you get on with your paid resources? I too am currently thinking of uploading some resources to sell and am curious as to how much can be made.

16. TheEducatorsCorner

TheEducatorsCorner New commenter

Good money can be made from TES but it is worth researching other prices and resources to see how well you could do. There are free and paid fir resources available on TES and Facebook to help you get started. It would always be worth putting your resources on TES and see how you go.

aking36, mcdonaldjane82 and jakel3631 like this.
  17. ClaireArrows

ClaireArrows New commenter

I was wondering how many resources you have available for you to be earning £250/month approximately?

MosaiK likes this.
  18. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

I started selling last October and my sales have gradually gone up from earning £2 a fortnight to begin with to now about £20 a month... I am just 9 resources short of reaching gold level so am currently at 75% royalties.
    In my humble experience, how much you sell depends on more than the quality of your resources alone.
    My subjects are French, German and Food Technology with some EAL/ESL and pastoral resources thrown in. Firstly all these subjects are deemed minority subjects, especially at GCSE/A-Level. Secondly there are a lot of French resources out there so that means more competition. My Food Tech resources sell quite well, followed by German and then French. Within that, I find that GCSE resources sell better than general KS3 resources. However, I am sure that if I were selling Maths and English resources, then despite the vast competition I would have much more of an audience, not only in the UK but around the world, so I would be making more money.
    Another factor is of course where in the list of pages of searched resources, yours will be showing.
    I think assembly presentations sell well too. I tried to re-vamp a few of my old ones, but soon hit the main obstacle: where do I find royalty-free photographs for commercial use that I can include in topical assembly presentations, e.g. current Olympic champions etc...
    I am aware that this is originally an older thread, but I hope my contribution helps.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  19. joannammarsh

joannammarsh New commenter

I have 150 resources ranging from single lessons to entire key stages and earn around this figure each month...sometimes more, sometimes less...I have found that using other social media forums for promotion makes a huge difference, Twitter and Pinterest and Facebook (although less so)...It takes time to build, but there really is nothing nicer than waking up and seeing that your resources have been working for you whilst you sleep....It's not enough to retire on, but is a nice extra. Don't forget you would need to declare it as a taxable income too...so what you make isn't all yours, but even so, I love it! Hope that helps.

20. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

It's a very difficult question to answer. Some people make a lot of money from a small number of very in-demand resources. Other people have hundreds of resources but may not sell many for a number of reasons. The best advice I can give is get started and produce quality resources that teachers want.