1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

is it possible to get legal protection insurance without being a member of a union?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by janetontes, Dec 2, 2011.

  1. I do not want to be a member of a union. I find the concept of unions out dated, old fashioned and not very useful. But I would like to have insurance against a false allegation of physical or verbal abuse that might be made against me by a child. Is it possible to buy legal professional indemnity insurance for a similar amount to the union subscriptions? I joined the union because as a trainee we were urged to do so as protection against unfair claims made against us. So without thinking about it all too much I joined the NUT when I began teaching and switched to NASWT when the NUT when on strike. I really don't believe striking is a useful way of negotiating. But now it seems all the unions support strike action. So is there an alternative for conscientious objectors like me? I don't want to withdraw my labour nor to be called a scab but I'd like an insurance policy that helped pay for legal protection in the event of an unfair claim against me. Does anybody know of alternative options to the unions?
  2. snowstorm

    snowstorm New commenter

    You can add legal cover to your household insurance (if you have any) for a tenner or so. Cover is limited eg up to £50k, but is still worth it. Mine covers me for employment issues and I found it invaluable when my union did not come up with the goods.
  3. NQT2004

    NQT2004 New commenter

    I am interested in this too, wasn't in a union for a few years but have signed up again as I can't find where else I can get insurance! Can I also say this forum is flooded with people who think the union will jump in to support you when anything gies wrong... I have seen 3 people in different schools in different situations need union support and what they delivered was dreadful. So when people complain about smallish issues and everyone claims contact the union I really have little faith as to what the will accomplish! Maybe others have different experiences?!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Public Indemnity/Public Liability insurance is normally to cover you for finacial claims from 3rd parties. Situations might be someone tripping on a faulty section on your driveway and injuring themselves, or a tree from your garden falling on a visitor's car or breaking a fence belonging to a neighbour.
    I don't think that type of insurance covers you for taking legal action to defend yourself against accusations at work or to pursue an employment issue.
    I'm in a local society and we have Public Liabitlity insurance to cover us in case a member of the public is injured by equipment at one of our events or scalded by a hot drink spillage when we're serving refreshments etc .. and then decides to sue us.

Share This Page