1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to convert from Music to Maths?

Discussion in 'Music' started by laurenclose89, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Currently, I am doing a GTP in Secondary Music, however, long-term I would also like to teach Maths. I have an A-level in Maths, but would I need to do another course to be able to teach it? Thanks.

2. Currently, I am doing a GTP in Secondary Music, however, long-term I would also like to teach Maths. I have an A-level in Maths, but would I need to do another course to be able to teach it? Thanks.

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

QTS enables you, in theory,to teach any subject you like so long as you can convince the Head that you are up to the job. There have been shortages of Maths teachers in parts of the country so you might find a job. An 11 - 16 school might be the best bet if you only have A-level.
    Alternatively you could take a Music job and mention at some point that you'd like a go at teaching some Maths and you might get a few KS3 classes on your timetable. I taught a bit of English at a previous school on that basis.

4. A friend of mine has just completed a post grad top up certificate to convert from teaching music full time to teaching maths instead. I think she started off just doing a few maths lessons and then convinced the school to pay for her course.

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Transferring to maths really depends on your ability to write Bach Chorales and realise figured basses. If that's your thing, no probs! Good luck!

6. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Was my comment that boring??

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Assuming that a GTP timetable has a bit more slack in it than a normal teacher's timetable, it might be worth asking about doing some observation / team teaching in maths: if you've already taken some steps in that direction, you'll be in a better position.
    Maths is still a shortage subject in some areas, and I imagine that some schools would be very interested in a music/maths teacher - particularly in a school which has too much music teaching for one teacher, but not enough for two timetables.

8. My Work In My School Is To Delete all The Duplicate Data From The School Computer Like Duplicate Reports, Duplicate Exam Papers, Duplicate Registers, Duplicate Files etc.So For That I Use Duplicate File Cleaner To Remove all The Duplicate Form The Pc If Anyone Need This Use It Its Very Good Software......