1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to be on the senior management team without a tlr?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MarkS, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

LOL @ Tafkam!!!
    Yes, of course it's possible, but you would be a fool in my humble opinion! Why take on extra responsibility? Why take on extra work? you should be paid for it. Perhaps your Headteacher should do her job on an NQTs salary - that's possible too (alright, maybe not, but you get my point!)>
    We should be paid for the work we do...in my opinion that means that 'SLT' means being paid on the Leadership Spine; perhaps a high TLR in a relatively small primary school.
    But if your HT wants someone to do SLT work, they should be prepared to pay them...or do it themselves!
    Mark

2. Thanks for that. Has given me something to think about. She only wants me in an advisory category, I won't have have any more to do than I already do now and attend meetings. I also think there will be restructuring of staff for the new academic year too so may be a TLR open to apply for then.

3. Some take on extra responsibility as a temp measure to support colleagues/school without any extra pay. Primary is so different from secondary and you would be naive to think differently, some schools have no choice but to give staff a lot of responsibilty for curriculum areas, pupil progress, community cohesion etc, we do not have an endless list of staff to share these out too. And yes a lot of primary/infant colleagues do not get the pay they deserve for the responsibilty they have.

And really a high TLR in the primary sector... you must be joking 'mark'

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

There is always a choice...some schools produce far too much paperwork which is totally unnecessary in the name of 'coordinating a subject'...but no-one can be made to do it without appropriate pay.
    Rubbish Headteachers will roll out the usual guilt-trip lines...'what about what's best for the children'...'we just don't have the money' etc. Always a load of rubbish.
    Mark

5. So in your world...everyone gets paid for the work the do?!! take of the rose tinted specs

6. So in your world...everyone gets paid for the work they do?!! take of those rose tinted specs

7. So in your world...everyone gets paid for the work they do?!! take of the rose tinted specs

8. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Triple post??? Learn how to use a computer!
    And rose-tinted specs???Really??? NO...people should only do what they're paid for...strange how there's always enough money to pay the Headteacher....
    Mark

9. Not at all strange that there are funds to pay the HT!
    It is the staffing structure which determines TLR posts and these can be influenced by budgets, but the value of 1 TLR post hardly makes much of an impact on the staffing budget of any but the smallest school.
    My SMT is myself, an AHT and a class teacher, who does not have a TLR. He is not expected to undertake extra work or responsibility,but has experience and a very sensible approach to his job.

10. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I agree that the staffing structure determines TLR posts...of course it does. But how can a class teacher be considered SLT when there is no extra work, no extra responsibility and no extra pay? Exactly what qualifies them as SLT? It's a meaningless label which may as well not be there.
    Mark

11. I agree with TC.
    In small primary schools it is not at all unusual to have class teachers on SMT. There is no management structure as there would be in larger schools.
    The benefit to the school is being able to make use of the experience of the teacher as part of a decsion making process etc.
    The benefit to the teacher as an aspect of CPD is clear.

12. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Ah yes, the old classic "do some extra work for nothing, it'll be good for your career". It'd be just as good for their career to be paid for what they do.
    Teachers are not volunteers - they should be paid for what they do, just like HTs.

13. Wow, you appear able to read that which has not been written. What a talent you have!
    Where do I write "do some extra work for nothing,it'll be good for your career"? Nor have I suggested that.

14. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Well given that the thread is about being on SLT without any extra pay, and that you said it will benefit their career...I think the implication is clear.

15. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Sorry...you said it makes good CPD...which pretty much implies the same thing.