1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to be a member of the senior management team without a TLR?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DaisysLot, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

While I admire your sentiment - think of the bigger picture - If there is an incident or error and your 'role' is at fault, how will you feel having to be accountable for said incident or error despite not being paid to be?

2. Yes you are right, but I already do lots of things that I'm not being paid for, so do many other staff, not just me. I actually don't think a school could run efficiently without people doing lots of things they are not paid for. That is where the government lacks vision with its initiatives, a school runs on the goodwill of its staff. I think she wants me as an advisory capacity, I won't have to answer to a TLR, and won't be called upon to take charge of the school or anything like that as there are five people with TLRs to call upon first.
    But thanks for your post, I shall think on it, don't have to make my decision this week anyway.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would be even more careful with such a job spec - She should be using her official SMT for advice.

4. I did something very similar in my last school. Was asked to join SLT but with no extra pay, I didn't have a TLR and at the time I was on main pay scale. I joined SLT, learnt an awful lot and my next post was on the leadership scale two years later. I think it's a great opportunity, particularly since you have a good relationship with the head - go for it!

5. Don't do it! I was trapped by a similar situation. The job I had been doing was then advertised and they gave it to someone else (internal) who was threatening to leave. The individual simply doesn't have a clue and is yet to make any mark on the school after 8 months in post.
    Proceed with caution - trust noone!