1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible for QTS to lapse, if you do not work as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I know that this used to be a rumour that went the rounds among PGCE students: that your QTS lapsed after so many years not employed as a teacher. I thought the answer was that QTS, once granted, was for life. However, in a conversation with someone within a LEA, whom I had contacted in regard to 1-2-1 tuition work, it was mentioned, as I had not taught regularly since for a couple of years, he would have to check if my QTS was still on register.
    I assume (hope) that he is wrong, but these days, i am getting rather gittery, so I hope someone can put my mind at rest. I got my DES number in 1979, BTW>

2. I gather if you were prior to the NQT year, you are "for life". If you have done an NQT year, you are "for life". If you have not done an NQT year, you need to gain a place where you do, if beyond the time-limit. Who knows what will happen to all these people with incomplete NQT years when the GTCE finally winds up.......but like a lot of the condem promises, I won't believe it until I see it.

3. I completed by PGCE in 1979 and received my DES number the same year. I completed by Induction in 1980. Until 2009, I was in full-time employment as a teacher in state schools.

4. Don't worry, I am in a similar position to you, I last taught in 2007 but have registered with an agency with no trouble. Tracking down my referees was the hard part, they went and retired on me!

5. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

You are a qualified teacher and therefore have QTS for life, albertdog. Don't worry, you'll always be a teacher.....gosh, what a cheery thought for a Monday! However, if you don't teach in a three month period I understand that your CRB check expires and you have to go through another one, just in case you've spent those three months gaining a criminal record in some way. (Assaulting an ex-pupil in the street, writing libellous letters about former SMT, burgling your neighbours because you can't get any supply work and you need to eat, etc...)