1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it okay to send references (if you happen to have them)?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Rippon, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I happen to have three references (from three previous employers). They are all Word or PDF documents.
    They all happen to be very positive.
    Practically all vacancies allow me to email my completed application form as an attachment. Is it okay, or even a good idea, to also attach the references?

2. I asked this exact question a few months back, and I was told that you shouldn't purely because you could have made these up yourselves.
    I had my references and they were all good, but people make a fair point that you can make them up, and there is nothing to prove otherwise. So references are sought from the actual employer.
    Hope that is of some help!

3. Thanks for that.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't always open threads that do not say Dear Theo, but this is so common a question.
    No.
    The only time you could send them is applying to an international school, but you must also give the names and addresses of referees for them to contact them directly to get the real thing.
    Do read the advice clickables inside the Welcome thread to get the best advice on applying.
    Best of luck!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!