1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to set up a tutoring business and work at a school ?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Redng, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Redng

Redng New commenter

Is there a legal reason why this cannot be done? The tutoring would be in my own time. Does the school/employer have a right to say no??

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Occasionally contracts have something about not working for another employer (which would possibly also imply self-employment too), but not usually. Even then, it tends to be "without the consent of this employer" rather than an outright ban.

It's best to avoid tutoring kids from your own school, which has potential for difficulties.

Redng and never_expect_anything like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

This seems to rather contradict all the posts about how overworked and stressed teachers are if you have time to run a tuition business on the side.

BG54 and simonCOAL like this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good point.

@Redng ... a lot of teachers tutor in their own time.

Redng likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There are teachers who manage to survive teaching full-time and parenting multiple children, sometimes with a long commute as well. So it's not surprising if there are teachers with no family reponsibilities who can fit in an hour tutoring each evening, or the whole of Saturday.

I did once find it interesting to observe that every member of the art department at my school was doing other work outside school hours.

Redng likes this.
  6. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Not at all. Most qualified tutors (i.e. qualified and experienced teachers, rather than students or professionals that offer tuition) start out by offering tuition alongside paid employment, and those that can afford to leave teaching to tutor full time often do. How else could anyone afford to set themselves up as a private tutor and build up a clientele?
    But yes, do be aware, as @frustum says, that your employment contract could say something about not working for another employer without their consent. (As long as you can demonstrate that your other employment does not affect your ability to carry out your duties for your main employer, I don't think many schools would prevent you from being self-employed, but it really does depend on your employer.) And it's usually good practice to avoid taking on tutees from your school, to avoid any potential conflict of interest.

Redng likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

If you already work at the school, get permission from your school. Running your own business on their site will need to be agreed and they have every right to say no. Have you thought about the rules on Safeguarding? Conflicts of interest if you already teach them anyway? Lots to think about.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Redng and simonCOAL like this.
  8. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good point

install likes this.
  9. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I assumed the OP meant away from school

Redng likes this.
  10. Redng

Redng New commenter

Thank you

11. Redng

Redng New commenter

I definitely would not be tutoring kids from my own school - as you said it would be a conflict of interest

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have had contracts of employment (not in teaching) which say I must get permission for any other paid work - as far as I know this is legal. If it is not in the OP's contract of employment, I doubt if the school could stop them. Like others, I would have my doubts on teaching students from my own school, although I am not sure there is a legal problem. However, even if there isn't, it might imply a lack of trust in whoever is teacher them that subject.

13. singh_sima002

singh_sima002 New commenter

If you education firm that you are working have their some policies, if they are allowing you for this then its k. I like to tell you that, I'm also teacher from India but I'm doing online tutoring for English for [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] So this is 21st century and everybody want to be online. So from my point of view its perfect to do tutor.