1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to go off sick in a new job?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PoppyNibblers, Feb 4, 2018.

1. PoppyNibblers

PoppyNibblers New commenter

Hi there,

this is the first time I've ever posted something on a forum but I wondered if anyone out there can help with any words of advice...

For the past 5 years I've been a non-teaching SENCO and have loved every minute of it, as well as knowing how fortunate how I am! I got a bit restless in the post and was lucky enough to get another non-teaching SENCO role in another primary school in a neighbouring authority. I've now been in post for 4 weeks but the job isn't at all what I thought it would be. My new school has never had a non-teaching SENCO before and I think they are trying to justify me not having a class so they have timetabled me here, there and everywhere. I guess that should be ok as I've been in teaching for 20 years but it's not what I thought the job would be and I have no time to actually do the SENCO role.

6 years ago I suffered with really bad depression and anxiety which left me feeling suicidal. This was caused by an adoption breakdown with my son followed immediately by the sudden death of my mum and the negative effect of these things had on my teaching. For the past 5 years I've been in really good mental health but now, with this new job, I can feel it all coming back again. I've started throwing up in a morning, being bad tempered with family and feeling really low. I'm going to the talk to the headteacher and tell him the job isn't what I thought it would be. I'm also considering resigning at the end of the week so I can leave at Easter. But I know already that I won't want to go back after half term - it's not just that I don't fancy it it's the fact that I've been here before and know how bad it can get.

I feel so weak and pathetic that I can't handle the new job but like I say, it's not what I thought it would be and not what I signed up for.

If I resign on Friday would it be absolutely terrible to not go back after half term? I've started looking for a new job and have some money I can call upon to support me if I don't get another job. In my head I know my health should come first. I'd feel such a git not going back but I equally don't want to end up a jibbering mess again.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a good week.

PN

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Would it make a difference if the HT listened to you, stopped giving you random timetable commitments and more time to undertake the role as you see it?

Moving to a new school is always hard - Especially if you are well-established at your last school and very used to doing things in a particular way...

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You need to talk to your GP.

You sound in a bad way.

Do talk to the HT. But you're right, your health should come first.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go and see your GP rather than your head.
    Have a chat and see what can be done.
    Then go and see your head and let them know what's going on.

There are all kinds of treatments and solutions.
    Best of luck

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

1. If you are sick you are sick, new job or not. If you need to, see a doctor and take it from there.
    2. Make sure the job can't be changed. Speak to your line manager and explain your concerns.
    3. Do not make any permanent life changing decisions in the next couple of days. Get space and be well first.

phlogiston and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. PoppyNibblers

Thanks for your quick responses. I'm hoping if I talk to the HT then he might re-think my role but if not I can only see things getting worse. I just feel so weak.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You aren't weak!
    You applied for a job you can do and then were asked to do a different one. Why should anyone be able to manage it?

If you think the head will listen, be sympathetic and rethink your role, then go and have a chat.
    Be confident about what you need.

phlogiston and Pomza like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Meh. New jobs are stressful as (insert sweary word of choice). You're not weak for finding it hard!

Pomza likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Prepare yourself well for this - ensure that the HT knows you need to have a serious conversation and that they set sufficient time aside.

Make sure that you are very clear about what you want to happen and can explain how this will benefit the school. Try to focus on how this might improve pupils' school-life, not just your own.

Write down some bullet points to remind you of all the points you need to make - It's easy to become a bit flustered and lose focus...

I'm sure your HT will make a sensible decision. Good luck. :)

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Unless your contract says differently, the standard resignation date is the END of February. You have slightly more time to talk to your HT AND your GP.
    Don't rush this decision.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. PoppyNibblers

Thanks for that.

12. PoppyNibblers

Thanks to everyone for giving me their time on a Sunday night.

Have a good week
    xx

clarefrankie and tall tales like this.