1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to ask for info before the interview?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Micromania, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm in the very stressful and exciting process of job hunting at the
    moment and recently received an offer for an interview from a school I'm really
    really interested in. However, they asked to see me in London, which is a long
    way away from me. My colleagues advised me to send them an email asking for more
    information regarding the package on offer, which classes I am expected to teach
    etc. to see if it's worth flying all the way to London for an interview. I've
    been working in the same international school for 3 years now, which is my first
    international post, so not familiar with how these things go. Is it ok that I
    asked for more info from them before the actual interview or have I come across
    as over confident, demanding, arrogant, and not that bothered about the school
    unless they've got something great to offer ME, which is not the case at all!
    I'm a bit worried cause it's been a week and I've not heard back from them
    yet...

2. Hi all,
    I'm in the very stressful and exciting process of job hunting at the
    moment and recently received an offer for an interview from a school I'm really
    really interested in. However, they asked to see me in London, which is a long
    way away from me. My colleagues advised me to send them an email asking for more
    information regarding the package on offer, which classes I am expected to teach
    etc. to see if it's worth flying all the way to London for an interview. I've
    been working in the same international school for 3 years now, which is my first
    international post, so not familiar with how these things go. Is it ok that I
    asked for more info from them before the actual interview or have I come across
    as over confident, demanding, arrogant, and not that bothered about the school
    unless they've got something great to offer ME, which is not the case at all!
    I'm a bit worried cause it's been a week and I've not heard back from them
    yet...

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Your colleagues gave you good advice and your request was absolutely reasonable.
    Whether you came across as arrogant and over-demanding will depend on the tone of your mail to them, but it appears from the above that you can write properly.
    If you explained your position reasonably and phrased your request politely, why on earth should they take umbrage? After all, they too will spend time and money on the London gig, so it is in their interest to see only genuinely informed and interested candidates.
    Is the school enjoying half-term, with the in-box cleared only occasionally or not at all? (ours only begins next week, and I will certainly not be opening the mail every few hours)
    In that case you may need to wait a few more days.
    Or is it a school where the very idea of upfront transparency makes the powers-that-be see shadowy demons in every corner?
    Or one where they are not quite sure right now whether they want a Key Stage 3 and 4 Geographer or an IB Economist, but, hey, come on down to London and talk anyway?
    In either of those cases, you're better off staying put.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Once short listed it is reasonable to ask about salaries, etc. I generally don't give that kind of info until after I've shortlisted someone (nothing to hide, genuinely competitive salary, but I want to avoid wasting my time with time wasters) but will be most happy to answer questions from those invited to interview; shows you're interested in the job and want to know more.
    I rarely accept interviews when looking for work for myself unless I know what I was getting for salary - the one time I didn't keep to this policy was a total waste of time.
    Write to them again on Monday if you still haven't heard, mentioning that you wrote to them last week.

5. Thank you both for your information and reassurance. I just needed confirmation that what I asked for was completely normal and reasonable so I appreciate you clearing that out for me.
    SMTdude, my email requesting further information was indeed very courteous so I'm a bit less worried now. I also noticed that they were on their half term break and only returned to school on Tuesday 1 March which might explain why they've not yet gotten back to me.
    MisterMaker, I will follow your advice and write to them next week (probably towards the end of the week, to give them more time).
    Thanks again[​IMG]