1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it normal...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

...to feel abnormally tired so much of the time?

I go bed really early - 7 to 8pm and then sleep until the same time next morning. The first couple of hours (or so) involve me dozing then its sleep. I don't even read which was my normal routine.

I may have asked this before so apologies.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You have been under a hell of a lot of stress for a long period of time.

You are now recovering and your body is taking time to adjust

In time you will resume your normal patterns and you will not feel so tired.

I haven't been through the trauma you have but I have been through a long period of stress followed by a period of recovery and I seem to remember I slept a lot as well. During the time when I was going through it I suffered terrible insomnia and being able to sleep properly again was a blessing.

Give it time !

Marshall, Pageant, Norsemaid and 11 others like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've felt absolutely knackered for years and years but no physiological reason has been found for it.

In your case, could this not be a natural result of bereavement? And a reaction to the difficult circumstances you've had to deal with for a long time?

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

What peakster said :)

You have been through an enormously difficult time both professionally and personally and I imagine your batteries have been running on empty for a very long time...think of this as a recharging period...

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Wot Peakster said!

I think you've probably functioned without enough sleep for a very long time. And grief is exhausting too. It's bound to hit you.

And snap @TheOracleAtDelphi!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it may be your body's way of adjusting and recovering after the stress of the past year. After all sleep is known to be important in recovery.

However it may also be symptomatic of an underlying problem., which has been masked by recent circumstances, Most bereaved people find they have problems sleeping / staying asleep, not the other way around. Underactive thyroid for example causes tiredness and a host of other minor things, so it may be worthwhile booking a Drs visit and doing some blood tests to rule anything else out.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I sleep a lot. I must be a cat.

Marshall, towncryer and primarycat like this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Was that a picture of you on the problem page that was so handsome then?

9. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

You are probably very,very tired after the time you have had. Or else you are turning into a dormouse! The cold and winter make us sleepy.
    Can’t blame teaching anymore. I used to sleep solidly for the first week of any school holiday.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Right now? Yes.

Don't try and 'get back to normal' (whatever that new normal is) too quickly. You need time to grieve, recover, process everything that's happened, and 'be where you are'.

However, it might be useful to get a blood test done for things like Vit D, Vit B, magnesium, O2 levels etc. I guess you could be pretty run down and might need to boost some of the essentials. Also, if you can, get out once a day for a walk and some daylight.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, it’s normal after a tumultuous time. Give yourself time to recover.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It may take as long as a year before everything returns to normal.

Marshall, towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You have been through so much Marshall. Time to listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Xx

towncryer, Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I could sleep for England. I'm permanently tired. I think it's my age because although I'm tired I can do everything, so it's kind of like I have the energy at the same time as being knackered, if that makes sense. You've had a huge amount of stress for a long time. I'd be supposed if you WEREN'T tired!

Marshall, towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Your mind and emotions are exhausted.
    No different from when your body is exhausted: you need rest.

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

yes , normal! look after yourself, healthy food, sensible exercise level. Lot of sleep

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agree with all of them. You’re exhausted and learning to cope with a new normal. However, if energy levels don’t begin to pick up over the next few weeks it would be worth getting a check up.

18. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Your mind is giving you a rest. You are adjusting to your new normal and as others have said it is tiring. I also agree your brain and body are healing from the last few years of continued and sustained stress.

my very warmest wishes to you, your dear hubby would be proud of you.

19. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

In my experience grief can do this.
    I saw it as a kind of respite - while you're sleeping you're not suffering.

Take it as part of the natural process and if you're otherwise healthy physically, don't worry about it.

20. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Are you in a position where you can get away for a while.?
    A break away from your normal surroundings...preferab;y in the sun and away from your normal routine might really help.

Other than that, what everyone else has said.

Marshall likes this.