1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it normal to sleep during the day?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by slingshotsally, Feb 25, 2016.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,

I am off sick, doctor hears what's been going on at work, and said its WRS.

But I still feel stressed. I have never slept during the day before, it's bizarre. I still feel hugely responsible for the kids in my class, I wonder how they are getting on with supply teacher, I fear the children will be arguing, fighting, getting behaviour warnings....

I'm even worried about the learning for next week.... I have tried everything to switch off. I start to read, but my mind drifts, I can't concentrate to watch tv.

Unfortunately, I don't want to step outside, I feel guilty for not being at work and I know that when we'll note runs out I will have to face an unsettled class as well as informal capability.

I feel like I'm floating, un-anchored, it's like I am having an out of body experience but without the lights. I'm not hearing voices, so I know I am not mad.... How do I ground myself? Before I was always thinking steps ahead, but now each minute is experienced, it feels endless, I can almost feel each second ticking by, in slow motion..

It's not what I am used to, it's suspended animation. I don't know what to do with myself.

SSS

2. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Sorry to hear you're not well. Have you mentioned the above feeling to your GP? That, along with needing to sleep during the day, anxiety over things you can't control, feeling guilty etc etc are all symptoms of depression...Having been in the position of suffering acute stress myself (and watching my husband suffer years of chronic depression) I know that the GP won't send you to work until you are ready. Stop worrying about the sick note running out - that just shows you need another one!

Be kind to yourself & talk to your GP x

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Tiredness and lethargy is natural if you are stressed and depressed, as is the feeling of not being able to concentrate. If it's only been a wee while just go with it and let your brain, body and emotions rest up. Watch some crappy films and have a cry.
    It will get better.

notsonorthernlass and RedQuilt like this.
  4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

When I had WRS and associated conditions and things were at the worst I had a daytime nap. It seems perfectly reasonable that it's necessary for somebody who isn't very well.
    The way I grounded myself was to make sure I created an achievement every day - some craft project, clearing out a cupboard etc - and going out of the door even if it was short walk or a bit of shopping.

It can take a long time to get well so, despite your instincts, try not to rush things. You'll get there eventually :)

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Disruption to sleeping patterns is a sign of stress and illness. It's a sign that your doctor is right to take the problem seriously and that you need to be off work at least until the sleep patterns return to normal.
    Good advice above. Try not to worry about what's happening at school (apart from sympathising with those still there).

6. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

You have my sympathy.

I am 3 months down the line but when I was first signed off with WRS it took some time before I realised the fog was beginning to clear. Feelings of guilt, embarrassment and worry were so strong. Now though, they are still there but less so.

Your class will be just fine. Don't give them a second thought (I know that's hard). Concentrate on yourself. I have a young child so doing day to day things with her keep me very busy but if I was on my own, I'd try and do all the things I struggled to do whilst working such as watch rubbish tv, cooking, walking, gardening, shopping etc. Do the things that you know that can make you feel content.

It sounds like you're not ready to go back just yet. Speak to your GP and get your note extended. I find counselling very helpful so it might be worth getting a referral from your GP. In time you will feel better.

7. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

What you wrote almost identically describes my WRS feelings and reactions.

Another visit to your GP might be a good idea.

Take care.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  8. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

It's because you're not well. I've been and there and have only just reached the end of the tunnel regarding work, and have started to feel better . Do what your body is telling you to do to get better. I know that its hard, but think about things you enjoy. Eat nice food (really important)). Post on here. It can be really supportive.

9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks to all who replied.

I have a a bad, bad feeling. It's dreadful- until now I felt quite reasonable and calm. Not any more.

A rising panic, a shaky feeling in my chest, I am having difficulty even swallowing. This is not the rational me, it's physically debilitating.

I don't actually want to step out of the bedroom.

I cannot afford to lose my job...

SSS

10. notsonorthernlass

notsonorthernlass New commenter

Sally, it sounds as if you are having a very difficult time. I think you are suffering a major stress reaction and the physical symptoms are all tied up with your situation regarding work...but I am a student nurse and I would STRONGLY ADVISE that you contact your GP today. Please take this seriously.
    Wishing you all the very best and please keep us updated here.
    xx

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Okay, so that's getting worse. See your GP again - get an emergency appointment tomorrow and don't let any idiot receptionist talk you out of it being an emergency. I won't tell you to stop stressing but remember that you're unwell and need time and treatment to get better. These feelings come with the illness and are not a permanent part of you.

12. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Sally I have had the same experience. It's like you physically ground to a halt. Its an awful feeling. It sounds like an anxiety attack. Please see your GP and explain. He/she may recommend medication. I found meds did help. Also, I recommend talking to the teacher support network. Just chatting about my situation helped me calm down. Please keep us updated, post on here to let us know how you are doing.

Sending virtual hugs

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You need to see your GP again certainly, because your stress levels are not lessening and could develop. Physical symptoms are all part of stress, depressive illness and anxiety and they compound the difficulties you are already having.

14. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I am sorry that you are experiencing this and it would be a good idea to go back to your GP and describe how you are feeling. It does sound like depression to me:

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-...th-problems/depression/symptoms/#.Vs8v7fmLTIU

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-...self-help-treatment-and-support/#.Vs8wsPmLTIU

You can't go back to work when you feel like this so try to stop worrying about your students, they will cope.

Have you got friends or family you can talk to? Someone has mentioned the Teacher Support Network and there is also the Samaritans who provide a listening ear, as well as posting here.

What you're going through is horrible, be kind to yourself, eat well and it will eventually pass.

15. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Has your GP actually checked you out physically and completed basic blood tests?

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The fact that you school has put you on informal capability (or is due to) means they don't deserve you! If you want to stay in teaching I would get looking at the TES boards and jobs. If not and you don't intend to fight the capability, I would look at other jobs. Either way, as soon as you are on capability in my mind the trust between your managers and yourself has been irrepairably busted UNLESS they are genuinely using capability as a completely supportive way to improve a genuinely sub standard teacher. And frankly, Villa have got more chance of winning the Premiership this year.............

As for the daytime sleeping, if you are on antidepressants or any form of sleep aid (Valium, barbituates, sleeping medication that begins with Z) you will have the sleepiness. Also if you are struggling to sleep at night. And depression can either cause you to under or oversleep too. You may have daytime sleepiness anyway if you sleep poorly at night (say snoring/sleep apnoea) irrespective of depression, its just that in the day when busy we are too busy to feel 'sleepy!'

Remember that your class won't exactly die just because you are not teaching them! Let go! Get better yourself before attempting to go back (if at all!)

17. nomorenails

nomorenails New commenter

+1 for see your GP. Sleeping in the day is normal when depressed (two hours this afternoon and this is at the tail end) the panic attacks can be managed with help. You need to look after yourself first and foremost, the job second. Harder said than done, but easier with help. Be kind to yourself.

18. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

This is my first comment but I have been reading your messages and I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what you are going through.

I too am signed off and like you I struggled in the first few weeks. I worried about my class, what the parents thought, having to go back... I'm now two months in and I can honestly say it does get better. You need to listen to your body and follow its lead. You need to sleep, my doctor said that this way my brain beginning to repair itself. I'm making my way through sky box sets, going to the gym and seeing friends. Once you start to feel better the guilt will lessen. I'm not ready to go back and I'm planning on resigning but I feel so much more human.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  19. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

Hi SSS
    I've been reading your story like so many others on here.
    You said you cannot afford to lose your job but I wonder if you can afford to stay. I kept going over two years then one final straw pushed me too far. WRS takes time to heal and I have quit my job to save my health. I'm still struggling with stress, anxiety and reactive depression 5 months on. I don't know if I can go back into a classroom again or what I'm going to do which is scary but I thank god that I'm not having to deal with the students, staff and systems anymore.
    Sleeping more is normal among other effects such as an impaired memory. You won't get well by continually being in the firing line. Is it worth it?

20. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

SlingshotSally, I've read your recent posts and wanted to say that although there's nothing I can really add that hasn't already been said, I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time and that your health is suffering. I hope you get through it ( with the help of your GP) and start feeling better soon.