1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it normal to feel this rubbish?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Minty_dinosaur, May 15, 2011.

1. I imagine people on this forum might be used to this question, but I just want some advice.
    Right, so here goes.
    To cut a message very, very short-what do people recommend as a cure for the 'I feel utterly burnt only a few weeks into placement, and I am worried I'm not good enough' PGCE blues?

[​IMG]

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I recommend giving yourself a time limit to do as much as you can, then give yourself a couple of hours doing nothing but having a hot bath, watching TV and drinking a glass (or two) of wine.
    I worked all the hours God sends in my final PGCE placement. It's good to put the work in (as I found it much less stressful/time consuming during NQT year!) for a few weeks, but remember to make time for yourself. Otherwise you can spend hours just making one resource for a lesson that only lasts a few minutes!
    We've all been there. Keep going, you're nearly at the end!

3. I've learned that teaching is relentless. It will take as much as you can give it, so you have to set yourself a limit and stick to it.
    I get to school early, leave by 6 and make sure I don't work past 8 in the evening. So long as I have lessons planned, I can make them more exciting if I can do it in my timescale. If not, then it won't kill them not to have an all singing, all dancing lesson once in a while :)
    Don't kill yourself trying, try Berocca, (it's brilliant for boosting your immune system and energy levels through vitamins and nutrients) and get plenty of sleep so you feel ready to attack whatever's coming your way the next day.
    Only 2 weeks til half term, keep going! :)

4. This is where treat time needs to kick in.
    Whether it is a night without doing coursework or a bath or a box of chocs it doesn't matter.
    Make sure you are eating properly and not just surviving on noodles and sandwiches and get some vitamins inside you.

The end is in sight [​IMG]