1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it normal to feel like this?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by LittleMissTidy, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Not sure why I'm posting this, but hoping that I'm not the only one who feels, or has felt, like this!
    Basically, I'm feeling really down at the moment. I have a lovely, happy 7 month old baby boy so I can't really complain....but I find that I am! I'm also very emotional, last week I cried at a baby group because I saw another mummy breast feeding her 6 week old. I'm also eating waaaay too much chocolate, buns etc. I'm so disappointed as I lost most of my baby weight initially and now find that I'm piling it all back on.
    Is it normal to feel like this at this stage? I gave up breastfeeding last week and am wondering if that is partly why I'm feeling like this?

2. Hi everyone,
    Not sure why I'm posting this, but hoping that I'm not the only one who feels, or has felt, like this!
    Basically, I'm feeling really down at the moment. I have a lovely, happy 7 month old baby boy so I can't really complain....but I find that I am! I'm also very emotional, last week I cried at a baby group because I saw another mummy breast feeding her 6 week old. I'm also eating waaaay too much chocolate, buns etc. I'm so disappointed as I lost most of my baby weight initially and now find that I'm piling it all back on.
    Is it normal to feel like this at this stage? I gave up breastfeeding last week and am wondering if that is partly why I'm feeling like this?

3. I do too and I kept going until 15 months! I think the only way you wouldn't feel guilty about it is if your baby self-weaned and I'd have been waiting forever if I was going to do that! Please don't dwell on the guilty feelings, you've given your baby a wonderful start by feeding for so long. [​IMG]
    I'd say what you're feeling is completely normal. Be kind to yourself x

4. I haven't read any of the other posts - so sorry if I repeat
    hormones, hormones, hormones. I find that breast feeding means I can eat what I want, when I want and struggle to maintain weight - I can see easily that when I stop I will be piling it on.
    big hug
    x

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

In the past, guys used to say women were always 'unreasonable'.probably as we were always either pregnant or breastfeeding, as of course our only point was to reproduce (thanks, Martin Luther, Immanual Kant and others! Since contraception and powdered etc milk was invented, one witty male at my school pointed out that at least they only have to put up with our unreasonable behaviour once a month! Thanks mate......
    Seriously, don't worry about the chocolate, it has something in it that can make you feel better. Go for loads of walks i the sunshine, that's good for you too, and will compensate!

6. I finally manged to give up feeding him at 15 months (not my choice!) but after continually crying at everything from 3 months old to 13 months, I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with PND. 6 months on Anti-depressants and i'm feeling ready to come off and deal with it - there is NO shame in having PND - its hormones gone to pot so if you are still suffering in a month then go to your GP and ask. I wish I'd gone earlier!!! hugs xxx

7. Hey everyone,
    Thanks for your replies and kind words.
    I'm feeling a little better this week, but am still experiencing intense moments of anxiety and emotion.
    Baileys, I was initially concerned about PND as I have suffered from bouts of depression before. I have felt so happy up to now that I think it's more likely down to hormones,(after stopping bfing) as others have said. Though I will take your advice and visit my GP should these feelings remain or take over.
    I'm so lucky to have such a happy LO who cheers me up and makes me smile every day!