1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Kamol, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Is it me or does it seem more difficult this year to get interviews? I've applied to a few good international school, and so far, nothing... I've got IB and IGCSE experience, I'm an IB examiner, and my DH said there was nothing wrong with my CV/letter of application. Has the job market become difficult, lately? Or is it, as I asked before, just me?

2. Is it me or does it seem more difficult this year to get interviews? I've applied to a few good international school, and so far, nothing... I've got IB and IGCSE experience, I'm an IB examiner, and my DH said there was nothing wrong with my CV/letter of application. Has the job market become difficult, lately? Or is it, as I asked before, just me?

3. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I couldn't tell you if it was you or not but to be honest I didn't think it would be difficult to get a teaching job overseas - I thought they snapped us up! But clearly not. There does seem to be some sharks out there looking to snap up easy prey and offer the least they can get away with. And yes, I agree with many offers, this can just go to show their intentions and respect for the staff they employ.

4. Def seems to be getting more competitive. I've known a fair few experienced teachers struggle to move on internationally. Maybe it's because heads are going for cheaper less experienced teachers or maybe it's because teachers get pickier about the schools they apply to the longer they're overseas and face increased competition for those posts.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I think that, due to the sparseness of teaching vacancies in UK now, more UK teavhers are looking overseas.
    This has resulted in lots more competition for each job.
    In addition, there seem to be fewer overseas jobs coming up because people are holding on to their jobs for the reasons above.

6. afterdark

afterdark New commenter

Perhaps Gove has caused an exodus of experienced teachers and overseas schools have more to choose from.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I think that Karvol is right. There are so few teaching jobs in the UK, and so many people applying for them, that more and more teachers are trying to get jobs in international schools. I have had quite a few PMs and e-mails from people asking for help and advice with regard to moving into international education. (Mrs Hippo says that I should open an employment bureau.) At my present school in Doha there are quite a few young Scottish lassies who say that there are simply no jobs worth applying for north of the border. I have even heard stories of well-qualified teachers in the UK not even being able to get jobs as TAs! Even supply work seems to have dried up in many parts of the UK. My guess is that it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Therefore many young teachers have a simple choice: work overseas or be unemployed.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

That should be stopwatch, not Karvol!

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

And it's Kamol, not Karvol, I made the same mistake myself.

I know of a couple of good schools looking for decent maths teachers.

10. If any SMT are reading this post, could you let us know what you are after? I'm young, 3 years' teaching experience, so would still be quite cheap to employ, but not so young as to lack any experience. And who gets the good jobs anyway? Anybody got a good job abroad recently and would like to share their secret with poor people like me?

11. Dick head!
    [​IMG]